10 Life Saving Food Items For The College Student Who Doesn't Enjoy Being In The Kitchen

Check this list before you surrender to Pop-Tarts and frozen pizza.

459
Unsplash

While most people enjoy eating, fewer of us enjoy cooking.

One of the major challenges that came along with moving off campus and relinquishing my meal plan was trying to feed myself "real" food. Trying to find quick, simple recipes that didn't require 20 ingredients and 10 spices I'd never use for anything but one dish was time-consuming.

This was the main reason I decided to stick to the basics and postpone exploring the culinary arts until a later date.

Here's a list of 10 tried-and-true food items college students who struggle to throw meals together (or just hate cooking) should always keep on hand.

1. Eggs (or egg whites)

There are so many options here -- omelets, poached, scrambled, boiled, etc. They can be eaten as a meal, paired with salads or burgers, and are also needed for most baked goods. Unless you have an allergy or dietary restriction, they're a must.

2. Bananas

Eat them plain or throw them in a smoothie. Once again, the options are limitless. My personal favorite is throwing a frozen banana into the blender and stirring in almond butter or adding a few strawberries for banana "ice cream."

3. Oatmeal

OK. This may not be popular, especially for those of us with texture issues, but oatmeal is worth a try. It's so cheap, easy, and filling. If you can't handle hot oatmeal, try one of the many overnight oat recipes plastered all over Pinterest -- so easy and nutritious.

P.S. You can make a healthy pancake alternative (like the ones above) by combining ingredients one-three on this list.

4. Nut butter

Peanut, almond, cashew butter -- give them all a try. They're delicious and nutritious in moderation. These are also a great way to spice up overnight oats or drizzle on top of the banana-oatmeal pancakes mentioned above.

5. Pasta

If you can boil water and open a jar of Ragu, you can feed yourself. (Try whole wheat varieties for a more nutritious option.)

6. Rice (or quinoa)

This follows the same idea as pasta. Boil some water and voila! You can also add these to wraps with vegetables and/or meat for a homemade burrito, or make your own quinoa bowl by combining all your favorite fresh ingredients.

7. Beans

Black beans are my personal favorite. I like to combine a can of beans with one can of corn, a can of Ro*Tel tomatoes, one cup of cooked quinoa, and an avocado. Stir in some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and store in the fridge for an easy lunch-on-the-go.

8. Lean meat

Buy a pack of pre-cut chicken, fish, or turkey and freeze individual servings in Ziploc bags. Let the individual serving thaw in the fridge while you're in class during the day, and come home to an easy dinner option.

9. Spinach

Make a salad, add to an omelet, cook and serve as a side. This is, by far, my favorite green vegetable to keep on hand.

10. Potatoes

It doesn't get any more diverse than the potato. Pop one in the microwave, throw thin slices under the broiler for homemade fries, or boil and mash. Don't forget to venture out and try some different varieties. Learning to work the potato is the only reason I made it through Whole30.