10 Items You Don't Think To Pack For College, But Should

10 items to help improve that dorm room living.

20
Facebook

You see everywhere list of things college students should bring with them to school. In all honest, most of these list contain extraneous things. Logically thinkning, how often do you think you are going to need that iron and ironing board on that list? Or use those mini pots and pans? As someone who's got one year of school under her belt, there's somethings that aren't always included on these lists that are pretty nice to have around your dorm room.

1. Small Speaker

A small Bluetooth speaker is nice to have if you like to listen to music while in the shower, or while hanging with friends. Your phone speaker may be okay if you are by yourself in your room, but in the shower, it's probably hard to hear over the running water. At first, I didn't shower with music, but I began to as the year progressed and it's kind of nice. Just don't have it up so loud that you can clearly hear it outside of the door.

2. Stepstool/Ottoman

If you loft your bed (not bunk them) and your on the shorter side like me, I highly suggest getting a small, yet sturdy stepstool or ottamen that you can step on to get into to bed. I can't tell you how many times I smacked my shins off of the edge of my bed trying to get in it. The only other option for me to avoid this was to really throw my leg up there. I honestly felt like I was some kind of hurdler when I did it. Plus, if you are extremely tired, it's much easier and takes less energy.

3. Extra Sheets

If you aren't planning on taking an extra sheet set, I advise to pick up another set. It's nice to be able to take one set off to wash them and be able to put clean ones on instead of having to wait for the only set you have to finish drying to make your bed. If you bring an extra set, there's no waiting around you can just go ahead and make your bed right away.

4. Extra Blanket(s)

In addition to extra sheets, an extra blanket or two is nice to have. If you plan on going to football games, bring one or two that you won't mind getting wet or dirty for when it gets colder. Or if you are hanging with friends and are watching a movie, it's nice to have a blanket to curl up with. Not to mention extra blankets just make your bed even more comfy and welcoming at the end of a long day.

5. Painter's Tape

This is handy to hang things on your walls if you 1) run out of Command strips or 2) can't get them to stick to the walls. I can't tell you how many times the command strip holding up my lights fell off the wall. After the millionth time, I gave up and just taped the end to the wall, which ended up sticking alot better than the command strips ever did. If you get posters or signs you want to hang during the year, you can use the painter's tape to put them up without worrying about it damaging the wall.

6. Mattress Pad

I cannot stress how important it is to get a GOOD mattress pad. I have an egg crate one from Target and it made a huge differnence in how my mattress felt. Yes, it will probably be a pain to pack at the end of the year, but do as I did and throw it in your laundry hamper. College mattresses aren't the most comfortable things in the world. And if a mattress pad isn't enough, try this hack I learned at summer camp: put a sleeping bag on top of your mattress, but put your sheets over it.

7. Reusable Totes

Those reusable cloth or plastic bags some people use for grocery shopping come in handy for transport things back and forth to school. At the end of year, you can just throw anything and everything into them to get stuff out of your dorm and back home. Also, they can come in handy carrying blankets and other things to sporting events. I wish I would've had more/bigger ones with me as I packed to come at the end of freshman year.

8. Comfortable Shoes

Take it from me, that really cute pair of shoes that make that one outfit look perfect, may not be the best choice for the trek to classes. Blisters after walking to your first class aren't any fun the rest of the day. Whatever shoes in your closet that don't hurt or pinch your feet are probably the best bet. Personally, I like either Converse (or knock offs like them), flats, Birkenstocks, or well broken in boots. It's more of a personal choice for what you decide.

9. Area Rug

I know most dorm rooms are carpeted but having an area rug makes a room feel about a million times cozier. Personally I thought having the rug on the floor of my freshman dorm brought the room together. It didn't make it feel as empty. Yes, this means you will have to vacuum it in addition to the regular floor, but a little extra work won't hurt. Area rugs aren't that expensive, so find one that you like and take it with you on move in day.

10. Batteries

You literally never know when you will need batteries. If you brought a TV with you, batteries could come in handy in case the remote dies, or if someone brings a game consule and the controller dies mid competition, you can be the hero by provide a fresh set of batteries.

Hopefully this list helps you pack some items you might not have thought of as the school year approaches. Enjoy the rest of summer!