Horror Movies to Watch Before Halloween

10 Horror Movies That You Need to Watch Before Halloween

It's time to get spooky!

37
www.instagram.com
www.instagram.com

OK, I get it, not everyone loves horror movies like I do. It is however, creeping closer to Halloween and therefore it is the season of scary movies!

Most of us have seen or heard about the classic Halloween horror movies, such as Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and Friday the 13thand while those are all amazing movies, there are also a lot of other great ones out there that can give you even more of a scare!

Whether you are a horror movie fanatic like me, or your still afraid of them but your friends all want to watch one, here are 10 non-traditional horror movies that are so spooky you need to watch them before Halloween!

1. The Exorcist (1973)

The Exorcist

The Exorcist

This is a classic one. Ask your parents if they have seen this and I guarantee you that some of them will tell you just how much it scared them!

The Exorcist focuses on a young teenage girl who is possessed by a demon and her parents attempts to cleanse her from it via some God fearing Catholic priests.

This movie today may not be as scary as it was to people when it first came out, but the special effects and the acting make this movie a must see classic! Plus some creepy stuff happened on the set, including 9 people in the cast and crew dying during its filming.

2. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

This classic remake has everything that you need to enjoy a good scary movie night. There's gore, creepy monster-like figures, and an interesting back-story.

The Hills Have Eyes (one of my personal favorites) focuses on a family that gets stranded in the dessert and soon enough a group of strange mutant-like people start picking them off one by one (it does have some sensitive content, such as rape in it though).

3. Cube ( 1997)

This one isn't as much of a horror movie, but more of a mystery, but it does still have some gore and a will defiantly give you a spooky feeling.

So, if your not looking for something very scary, then this would be a good option (plus I am pretty sure it is on Netflix, unless they took it off recently).

Cube starts off with 6 total strangers placed inside a huge cube with endless mazes in it that have deadly traps. From there, the question is why they were put in the cube and who the heck made it.

4. Suspiria (1977) 

This is a great classic that is being remade, but I would HIGHLY recommend that you watch the 1977 version first.

This movie is whimsical and at the same time completely and utterly creepy.

Suspirira is an Italian film that follows the story of an American girl starting ballet school in Germany (Black Swan anyone?) and as increasingly creepy things happen there she uncovers a sinister secret behind the school.

5. Audition (1999)

This Japanese horror film will take you on a whirlwind on emotions.

Audition tells the story of a widowed man in Tokyo who, thanks to his friend who is a film producer, helps run auditions for a show, in hopes that he will fancy one of the ladies and that he will be able to date her. The audition works, as he finds a lady that he likes, but once they start dating, the girl proves to be not who she appears to be at all…

6. The Shinning (1980) 

Another straight classic. You simply cannot go wrong with this movie.

Based off of the story by Stephen King, The Shinning is about a family that stays in an isolated hotel to take care of it while it is shut down for the winter and during their stay a lot of supernatural things happen. The families son can see the hotels horrific past and future with this psychic powers and that combined with the evil there creates an amazing story.

7. Hostel (2005)

Backpacking across Europe always seemed fun right?

Not in this movie.

In Hostel, 3 friends who are backpacking across Europe stay at a hostel in Slovakia, where they soon realize has a dark secret.

This movie has a lot of, and I mean A LOT of gore, but it does make a fun and interesting story that would be great to watch with friends.

8. The Silence of The Lambs 

The Silence of the Lambs

Silence of Lambs

c1.staticflickr.com

This thrilling movie has everything from serial killers, the FBI, and of course a cannibal.

The Silence of the Lambs follows an FBI trainee (payed by Jodie Foster) who is working hard to catch a killer who skins his victims and gets some help from an unlikely person- an imprisoned cannibal.

9. Orphan (2009) 

If you like movies with a twist, well then boy this is a good one for you, because there is a huge twist that you wont see coming.

Orphan follows a couple that lost their baby, so they adopt a 9 sweet year old girl. Except, she may not be as sweet as they think, as strange things start happening once they bring her home.

10. Let the Right One In (2008)

This Swedish vampire movie is far from your typical Twilight love story and it is in Swedish, but you can watch it with English captions. If you would prefer however, the English version, the remake Let Me In(2010) is a great watch as well.

Let the Right One In follows a boy who is bullied, but how his life soon changes when he meets a young female vampire.

I know that it sounds kind of weird, but it is AMAZING, trust me. If you appreciate film then you will fall in love with this.