10 Healthy Habits Of Successful Professionals

These are what make them stand above the rest.
121

We all know the type: they're always the first to employee meetings, they are rarely if ever late for work, and they are either the boss or the boss's "toady." These able–bodied overachievers have certain routines and methods that keep them at the top of the list for promotions and the go to guy for collaborative projects. Here's a few of their tricks and tips for being "that guy:"

1. They always get enough rest.

Every employer or supervisor has that one person they know they can count on when push comes to shove. Sometimes this person is thought of as a suck up or a brown nose, but it isn't as if they don't have any friends. Many coworkers actually consider them to be the life of party. They just know when they've had no, decide to call it a night, and head home when they have responsibilities for the next day. Much to their friends' dismay, a Wednesday evening is NOT a night to go out on the town for a working professional, and they know that.

2. They have regular doctors' checkups.

Co-workers rarely need to cover their shifts because they rarely miss work. They don't come into work sick and that they aren't there it is and do to illness when someone calls and this is who covers their ship employees miss work all the time and for all sorts of reasons, but not these guys. When they aren't there, the boss can be certain there is a good reason.

3. They constantly work to improve their skills.

These studious employees don't just wait around for information to come to them, instead, they are out there studying ways to become better employees. They take advantage of any chance to become the example the boss can point to when describing the ideal employee. They are the top salesman in a retail outlet and they are the example pointed out to new employees.

4. They are excellent communicators.

Communication is key; these guys know it. Whether it's formal business letter, a text message, or something in between, these guys are on top of it. This is one of the top attributes that employers want their employees to possess. If a worker can communicate exactly the information desired, they are that much more valuable as an employee.

They take breaks regularly.

That doesn't mean they are slackers. It just means that they work smarter, not harder. They don't do "busy work" and they don't try to look like anything but what they are: valuable employees. They set a standard for what is expected of coworkers. They like to produce good work and so they do. When they have been working for a couple of hours and they are starting to feel worn down, it's time to hit the break room for 20 minutes of rest. A cup of coffee and some fresh air can do wonders for a person's energy levels.

5. They take advantage of available support systems.

Every workplace has certain support services, whether it is the supervisor, optional employee meetings, or some dusty and rarely used manual explaining how to complete a given task. Whether you realize it or not, these are support systems. When a worker asks his or her supervisor to explain how to complete something they are accessing a support system. The same goes for reading an operations manual, for asking for help, for discussing difficulties with coworkers during lunch break, and for many other commonly accessible resources at nearly every job.

6. They could teach a rock a thing or two about patience.

Many things require patience, from of Rubik's Cube to dealing with an obnoxious and unruly customer. We have all heard the saying "he/she has the patience of a saint," these people are those he's and she's. When a fellow employee needs a kind ear to listen to their problems, these are the people that readily offer to be that non-judgmental ear. When something goes awry at their place of employment, the cooler heads prevail.

7. A good team is one that works together.

Teamwork makes the dream work. That old adage still means something to this day and when a person works well in a team the boss takes notice. When an employee is a preferred collaborator, everyone wants them to be their first pick. Just like the guy in elementary school made sure everyone was treated fairly, an employee who has the habit of encouraging others to perform better is highly sought after.

8. They achieve their objectives regularly.

There are many types of objectives: big ones, small ones, objectives of all kinds. Many people choose to constantly aim for the most difficult and time-consuming task before even attempting a lesser one. When you set goals that can't easily be accomplished, you are setting yourself up for failure. These coworkers recognize that and set more attainable goals. Some projects require an extended period of time to complete; these workers understand that and aim for something smaller and able to be completed in one sitting. Completing tasks leads to a sense of accomplishment and that directly influences their level of motivation.

9. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Most of you have heard that saying, it basically means "be nice." No one likes being talked down to or having their flaws pointed out, least of all coworkers. If you go around with a chip on your shoulder, growling about whatever has happened to disrupt your day, you will soon gain a reputation as an unfriendly individual. Coworkers don't appreciate that any more than customers do. Being agreeable never hurt anyone.

10. Having the right perspective is crucial.

Is the glass-half-full or half-empty? These professionals never see it as half empty, they are always seeing it as half full, that is by far the more desirable point of view. This is one of the most telling questions a prospective employer can ask and it says a lot more about your personality than you might think. Do you seek to present yourself as being able to deliver do you see to remain unnoticed? Have you taken the time and effort to portray yourself as personable or would you rather stay under the radar? Employers prefer a go-getter rather than someone who tries to appear inconspicuous.

What do all of these have in common, you might ask. They are all trades interviewer seeks to identify, because these traits are highly sought after in addition to learning what work you are qualified to perform, employers want to hire employees that will use these skills these employees are agreeable and almost always repay their employer's investment with a desirable work ethic. These are known as soft skills as opposed to the hard skills that directly pertain to the job description. Soft skills are skills that can easily transfer to a different. When you exhibit these traits your employer will notice what an asset you are on the team and you will be more readily given career opportunities to climb the corporate ladder.