Some Easy-to-Break Bad Habits to Start Fixing Today

10 small habits you can easily break Right now

Here are some super little and easy-to-fix behavior patterns that you can start avoiding in order to see improvements in both your physical and emotional health.

211
https://unsplash.com/photos/8-GoLzrBkhs
Talles Alves on Unsplash

Candidly, I must admit I partake in most of these on a daily basis, but if you have better self control than I do...this list might be useful.

1. Plugging-in Your Phone Next to You at Night

Plugging your phone in to an outlet out of reach from your bed can make a surprising world of difference. For starters, looking at and being on your phone in the dark is one of the worst things you can do to your eyes. The contrast of the brightness from the screen with the lack of light in the background puts unnecessary stress on the retina and can not only cause temporary blindness, pain, or irritation in one or both eyes, but also long-term vision deprivation. Most phone charging cords, especially iPhone cords have pretty short life-spans, and part of their rapid deterioration comes from the bending of the wires from awkward positions (i.e. stretching up and over the the frame of a bed). Notifications and easy accessibility to constantly updating social media apps add an extra challenge to finding the peace of mind to actually fall asleep, so placing the screen out of vision will help your brain detach itself from the outside world and focus on getting a good night's rest. Also, if you're someone who struggles waking up in the morning or likes the alarm snooze button a little too much, plugging your phone in somewhere that you have to get out of bed to reach will help make sure you're awake when you're supposed to be.

2. Taking Your Shoes Off Without Untying Them

This may sound like a waste of thirty seconds, but it could save you some money. Sliding your feet out of your shoes without touching the laces may technically require less physical exertion, but bending down and pulling a few strings really won't make you break a sweat- I promise. What untying does accomplish, besides the avoidance of blisters or irritation from the back of the shoe rubbing harshly against your heel, is the increased long-term preservation of the shoe's proper condition. The more you twist and bend the fabric of the shoe in a way that it was not originally intended (regardless of the quality of material) the less its stability and shape are maintained. The heel and sole of the shoe wear out much quicker than they should, forcing you to have to buy new ones sooner (or making it harder to re-sell the shoes in the future). The laces may be cheaper; however, untying and retying them will also help preserve their best condition possible for the longest duration possible. Of course, this tip doesn't apply for shoes without laces or laces that have been barred or altered to avoid any kind of tying or untying in the first place.

3. Drinking Soda

I'm not nor will I probably ever be pro-dieting. I don't believe in counting calories or skipping dessert. However, I do understand wanting to eat healthy. A lot of people become so concerned with what they're eating that they forget to monitor what they're drinking too. If you're trying to live a healthier life style, or at least practice a more nutritionally-conscious diet, cutting out soda is a great way to start. If you're a pretty avid soda drinker, completely eradicating it from your diet without any gradual weaning off of it could cause spurts of binge-drinking (in soda terms, not alcohol), but limiting yourself to once or twice a week will help. Generally though: the less the better. There are over 7 teaspoons of sugar in an average Coke 330ml can. That's the same as eating about 3.5 Krispy Kreme glazed donuts (shape). All that sugar not only adds unwanted weight, but also rots away at your teeth and worsens acne. 'Light' sodas are better than 'dark' sodas for you teeth, but not by much. Replace soda with less sugary drinks like tea, natural fruit juices (preferably as organic as possible), or even better, water. If you like more flavor in your drink there are a multitude of flavored water brands at your disposal, and if you can't get enough of that carbonation: sparkling water is about to be your best friend.

4. Skipping Breakfast

I could write an entire article on the importance of eating the most important meal of the day (honestly I'm probably going to one day), but I'll talk about it here first because it's one of the most commonly practiced habits, especially college and high school-aged individuals. It's easy to miss this meal without hesitation because often you wake-up either not hungry, or without time to actually sit down and partake in it. It may sound cliche, but setting your alarm fifteen minutes earlier to give yourself time to fuel your body properly for the day will alter the course of your entire day...for the better. Eating a morning meal supplies you with the energy needed to concentrate better in class or at work, work-out more efficiently and effectively, and maintain a more well-balanced diet throughout the day. Some believe that skipping that first meal helps with weight loss; however, it's actually pretty counterproductive in that regard. Instead, missing breakfast leaves you significantly hungrier later in the day, causing you to not only consume bigger and less controlled meals and snacks, but also in the afternoon and evening (when you have less time to work off extra calories). Eating a balanced breakfast is important too, so that means incorporating protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and essential macronutrients, but if you're used to nothing at all at least start with a granola bar and fruit or something simple like that.

5. Texting While Driving

I might sound like a cynical parent or the DMV, but this one really does have the potential to be lethal. With how widespread smartphones have become and how frequently people use them today, it's no surprise that texting while driving has become a notorious problem on the roads. Statistics show that there is an average of 9 deaths per day and 1 out of every 4 car accidents are caused by distracted driving with phone-use, and these numbers could be even larger since phone interaction is largely unreported. While DUI accidents and drinking-while-driving numbers have actually decreased, the distracted driving cases stats have climbed. Approximately 660,000 drivers use their cell phone during the day while operating their cars, and surprisingly, and in one survey, 70% of adults claimed they're 'comfortable' driving while on their phones (55% of teens stated the same) (TeenSafe Driving Statistics). I've heard multiple people actually brag about being good at texting or Snap-chatting while driving. Trust me, that's not something to gloat about. I promise you, whatever is on your phone can wait, nor is it worth risking your life (not to mention the lives of others around you). Put your phone out of reach and out of eye-sight if you must. If you don't have someone to bump the AUX for you, queue up a playlist ahead of time so you don't have to scroll through and pick songs manually while you're on the road.

6. Brushing Your Hair Right After You Shower

Now, everyone's hair texture and style are a little different, but generally, when at all possible, you should avoid brushing your hair while it's wet. Wet hair is actually more vulnerable to damage than dry hair, so brushing through it right away without drying it first can cause it to become more brittle and frail. Right after showering, your hair hasn't yet produced its natural protective oils coating its follicles to prevent breakage, so it's pretty susceptible to tearing and splitting (Lee). Using a wide-toothed comb or even your fingers are better options than a regular brush if you must, but it's even better to pat it down with a towel and let it dry naturally first. Applying leave-in conditioner before you brush is a solid option to take this tip one step further, but that's not completely necessary (especially if you're really trying to save money). When your hair is damp or dry enough to comb, make sure you start from the bottom and work your way up.

7. Sleeping In

This one's especially pertinent during the summer, but certainly applicable year-round. The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours of sleep (or 10 if you really want to perfect your sleeping routine) for individuals age 18 through 64 (NSF). To achieve this, all too often teenagers and young adults resort to a pattern of staying up late and sleeping in even later. While sleeping-in is obviously okay once in a while, perhaps after a late night or on vacation, making it a regular habit might not be the best idea. You don't necessarily need to wake up "early" but getting up at a normal time in the morning increases your productivity for the rest of the day by giving you more time to get work done, optimizing your brain's functionality and increasing your overall physical energy. Sleeping late can actually cause you more stress as you'll inevitably feel like you have less time to get done whatever it is you have to do for that day. Also, fixing this habit will help improve your overall basic routine in many ways like giving you time to break habit #4 or opening a new window for more exercise.

8. A Lack of Gratitude

The grass is always gonna be greener somewhere else, but what you have to remember is that your life is that superior pasture in someone else's eyes. A lot of one's emotional negativity comes from constant dissatisfaction with reality and the unquenchable desire to have something more or something different. We live in a society with a media environment that constantly reminds us of the 'bad' in the world and a social media presence that encourages the frequent comparing of one person's life to another's. These repeated behaviors diminish your self-esteem and hinder you from fully appreciating all the blessings you've been given. There are so many things and people in this life to be genuinely thankful for. A great replacement habit to start developing is taking time each day to reflect on the gifts and good things around you that you're lucky enough to have, and, if you want to take it a step further, try to reach out to at least one person a week (if not more often) and let them know how much they mean to you. Partaking in more acts and thoughts of gratitude will improve your overall disposition, mood, and quality of life- and it's completely free.

9. Sitting Down For Long Periods of Time

If you've been sitting for over 30 minutes, use this as a reminder to stand up and walk around. In the past decade, significant research has been devoted to analyzing the risk that sitting for extended durations of time has on your overall health. Studies have shown that prolonged sitting can lead to serious threats like heart disease, weight gain, and diabetes. According to Dr. Joseph Mercola, the average US adult spends up to 10 hours a day seated, when our bodies were designed to function best with regular movement throughout the day. Our bodies are not programmed to be 'sedentary', but we as a society have gotten all-too comfortable with allowing this phenomena to spread. While some people regularly exercise enough to compensate for any long spouts of sitting needed for work or school, it's still a habit to watch out for. It's also probably one of the easiest on this list to fix. Aside from when you're sleeping, try not to remain in a seated body position for more than 30 to 45 minutes at a time (assuming the situation allows for it). Binge-watching shows is especially conducive to this habit, so make sure if you are squeezing an entire series into a couple of days that you take breaks half-way through episodes or at least before each start of the following one. Going on a long car ride? It might tack on a little to your ETA, but plan out stopping times throughout your trip to give your body a much-needed break. Walking at least 7 to 10 thousands steps a day is recommended to keep your metabolism and bodily functions dynamically engaged. While these numbers aren't always possible, taking breaks throughout a long day at the office or in the classroom to get up, walk and stretch, or even better: exercise, can make huge short and long term differences in your overall health.

10. Using the Expression "KMS" Carelessly

I'm ending this list on a more serious note, but nonetheless, an important one. Mental health awareness is more relevant now than ever, and it's about damn time. Those who question the legitimacy of mental illness often treat it as a joke or something not worth giving the time of the day too. Some people believe victims are 'merely seeking attention' or just acting 'melodramatic' when in reality 1 in 4 people globally suffer from sort of real mental disorder or illness that require treatments and therapy just the same as physical injuries or sicknesses. I can't even count the number of times in a week at college I hear expressions like "that made me want to kill myself" or, "just kill me know," or, "I might as well kill myself now," thrown around about things like difficult tests, late nights, practices, or just every day trifle annoyances. If someone is experiencing genuine emotional distress that deals with measures as severe as suicide, they should speak to a counselor (a professional) and, or, at least their friends and family; however, if they hear these dark thoughts used in colloquial and nonchalant situations, they might feel as though their suppressed feelings are not worthy of actual help or attention. Joking about suicidal ideation is an inappropriate undermining of the seriousness of mental illness. Although 'everybody' seems to be doing it, try to be the one who stands up for those suffering silently and make the conscious effort to remove these expressions from your jargon and conversations. Fellow Odyssey writer, Sam Basilone, wrote a great article about putting an end to this practice earlier this year, and you can read it here.