10 Great Movies You Probably Shouldn't Watch With Your Parents

A guide to help you avoid awkwardness on family movie night.

1869
Buzzfeed

Watching a movie together is a timeless way to bond with one's family, but there are some movies that just aren't meant for family movie night. Here's a guide to great movies you should see when you get a chance - but not with your folks!

1. Y Tu Mamá También

IMDb rating: 7.7/10

Director Alfonso Cuarón also directed "A Little Princess" and "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," so it's understandable why some may think his other works are suitable for the whole family. This foreign film follows two teenaged boys and a married older woman as they embark on a life-changing, sexually charged road trip across Mexico.

2. Requiem for a Dream

IMDb rating: 8.4/10

Although there's probably no way someone would mistake this for a family friendly flick, it's hard to tell from the title just how deranged this film is. "Requiem" is not just a movie, it's also an extremely effective PSA against drug use. Four characters succumb to their addictions - some seemingly more harmless than others - and they are willing to go to great and disturbing lengths to satisfy their cravings.

3. The Dreamers

IMDb rating: 7.2/10

Although the title may seem innocent, "The Dreamers" is anything but. This film follows a naïve American student studying abroad in Paris during the '68 Paris student riots where he meets a French brother and sister who share his love of art and music. They invite him to move in with them but things quickly spiral out of control and he ends up joining them in their constant binge of alcohol, drugs, and sex - and if that isn't enough to make you wary, there are also strong incestuous undertones.

4. Only God Forgives

IMDb rating: 5.7/10

"Only God Forgives" may not have done well critically, but it's certainly still worth a watch for its style and production. Set in Bangkok, Ryan Gosling plays a drug-smuggler whose mother sends him on a mission to find his brother's killer. But due to the strong violence and the incestuous undertones between Ryan Gosling's character and his mother, this probably isn't a movie you want to see with your parents.

5. Boogie Nights

IMDb rating: 7.9/10

The funky title makes it easy to assume this film will be like "Dirty Dancing" or "Strictly Ballroom," but don't be misled. "Boogie Nights" takes place during the 70's and 80's and is about a young busboy played by Mark Wahlberg who stumbles into the Californian pornography industry as "Dirk Diggler." The film was critically acclaimed and was nominated for three Oscars, but that doesn't make it any less uncomfortable of a film to watch with mom and dad.

6. Black Swan

IMDb rating: 8.0/10

Natalie Portman's character is a ballerina whose life has always been consumed by dance and her desire to be perfect. She becomes the prima ballerina as her ballet company prepares for their production of Swan Lake, but she feels threatened by a new dancer played by Mila Kunis. On the surface, "Black Swan" is a ballet film and a modern retelling of Swan Lake, but it's very dark. It also features a very intimate sex scene between Portman and Kunis, as well as disturbing and violent imagery as Portman's character loses her sanity.

7. The Wolf of Wall Street

IMDb rating: 8.2/10

Leonardo DiCaprio plays the infamous 'Wolf of Wall Street' Jordan Belfort (an American University grad, if you didn't know!) in this film by Martin Scorsese. Belfort was a man who loved his vices, and the film features numerous sex scenes, holds the record for most uses of the f-bomb in a mainstream non-documentary film, and shows Belfort's affinity for cocaine, quaaludes, and alcohol. The film is essentially a three-hour long orgy.

8. Happiness

IMDb rating: 7.8/10

While the title of the film makes "Happiness" seem like it'd be a family-friendly movie, it's the exact opposite. The film follows the lives of several extremely damaged individuals in their search for happiness, which seems innocent enough, but one of the individuals is a man who is attracted to pre-pubescent boys and who fantasizes about murder. "Happiness" will leave you feeling bitter and disturbed.

9. Thirteen

IMDb rating: 6.9/10

Actress Nikki Reed co-wrote the script for this movie and said that it was heavily influenced by her experiences as a pre-teen. That's incredibly worrying since the film involves a thirteen-year-old girl experimenting with heavy drugs, sex, crime, and other self-destructive behavior.

10. American Beauty

IMDb rating: 8.4/10

"American Beauty" is certainly a modern masterpiece, but it's probably not a good idea for you and your parents to watch this movie about a sexually frustrated middle-aged dad obsessing over his high school daughter's best friend.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10