10 Great Disney Movies That Also Teach Important Life Lessons

The best way to teach a life lesson is through song and some awesome animation.

52841
Pintrest

While children's movies are silly, fun and enjoyable overall, they also usually teach life lessons as well. No one does this better than Disney. Hidden within the catchy songs and great animation are important lessons about friendship, love and going for what you believe is right. Here are 10 great Disney movies that have taught so many people important lessons.

1. "Lilo and Stitch"

Lilo and Stitch is an overall fun movie about an alien experiment that become the pet of a human girl and the develop a lasting friendship. The life lesson this movie teaches is that someone does not need to be related to you by blood in order to be family. Also, that just because someone is different, that does not mean that they should not be treated fairly. Lilo was able to see past Stitch's weird looks and behavior and loved him just like she would love any pet. Eventually her sister learned to love Stitch as well and accepted him as part of the family.

2. "Mulan"

Mulan is one of my favorite Disney movies because of the lesson it teaches, to be yourself and to do what you believe is right, even if other people disagree with you. This movie is a classic honor story where Mulan goes to fight in the war in the place of her father to prove herself, even though she knows if she is discovered it will bring dishonor to her family. I think this movie is so important for kids because is shows that you can do what ever you want regardless of your gender. This movie also emphasizes the strength of girl power and that having a pretty face is not everything.

3. "The Lion King"

Another Disney classic, the Lion King follows the story of Simba as he grows and becomes the eventual leader of his pack after a heated battle with his uncle. This movie teaches kids about loss, regret and not being afraid to face your fears. The central conflict of this story is when Mufasa dies trying to save Simba and Simba blames himself for his father's death and leaves his pack because he is afraid to face everyone. When his evil uncle Scar takes control he knows he has to go back and faces his fear of rejection and blame to help his family.

4. "Frozen"

Frozen was an instant phenomenon with catchy tunes and the power of sisterly love. This story teaches kids that there is nothing wrong with independence and sometimes all the support you ever need is support from your family. This story also teaches kids that it is not good to suppress your emotions because eventually all that pent up energy will come out in a bad way.

5. "Beauty and the Beast"

Another classic, this movie follows the story of an avid reader who ends up having to serve who the town call a monster but Belle sees through his thick skin to his kind heart. This movies teaches us that you cannot judge a book by its cover and that it is who someone is inside that counts. Also that reading is awesome and having knowledge is power.

6. "The Princess and the Frog"

This is another girl power story where a middle class girl wants to open her own restaurant because that was always her father's dream and no matter what she is willing to do what she needs to in order to succeed. This movie teaches the importance of hard work and determination and teaches children that they can do what ever they put their minds, even if all the odds are against them.

7. "Tangled"

"Tangled" is a fun loving movie about an eccentric girl who decides to venture out of the tower she has been trapped in her whole life and goes on the adventure of a lifetime.This movies shows us that sometimes the people who are supposed to care for us or claim to care for us do not actually have our best interest in mind and that it is okay to go outside of your comfort zone.

8. "Brave"

"Brave" follows Merida, a feisty girl who does not like to take orders but this gets her into some trouble with her mom and their relationship is put to the test. This movie teaches children that while sometimes you might fight with your mom, family is very important and having the ability to listen to each other is all it takes. Also, this movie teaches children that there is nothing wrong with not conforming to gendered beliefs and activities and that there is nothing wrong with being independent.

9. "Cinderella"

This is a classic just deserts movie where the good, taken-advantaged-of person gets the guy and the evil people get nothing. This story teaches us that treating people meanly gets you no where in life and that if you do what is right, even when the odds are against you, then you will be rewarded.

10. "Mary Poppins"

Last but certainly not least, "Mary Poppins" the story of an out of this world nanny who is both strict but also magical. Poppins teaches us that we should always strive for perfection and that you can both work and have fun at the same time and having an imagination is not a bad thing either. She also teaches the hard lesson of being able to say goodbye and move on to the next opportunity when the time comes.