10 Grammar Rules Half The Population Can't Seem To Figure Out

It's time to put an end to bad grammar.

31

Since we’re currently in the beginning of a new year and everyone is making resolutions and goals you all swear you’re going to accomplish by December, I have the one that should be at the top of your list.

Learn these 10 grammar rules. Please. I’m begging you.

1. Your/You’re

Yup, here it is. The most common grammar mistake that makes me want to roll my eyes 360 degrees every time I run across it. You knew it was coming the second you read what this article was about.

So even though you have had the opportunity to learn the difference between the two time and time again… I’m going to say it one more time for the people in the back.

Your- This is a possessive adjective used to describe something that belongs to you or is related to you. A noun will always directly follow it.

Ex: Your dog ate my homework.

Your car is terribly parked.

Your sister is in my biology class.

You’re - This is a conjunction of "you are." You’re=you are. If you cannot replace it with "you are," it’s the wrong one.

Ex: You’re a beautiful person.

You’re walking in the wrong direction.

You’re working the next shift.

2. There/Their/They’re

I know they all sound the same, but there are three different versions. After this long, I know you can do it. I have faith in you. We will get through this together. I’ll even give you a way to check if you’re using the correct one.

Ther e- You use it when talking about location or existence

Ex: You can put it over there.

There is another option.

If you’re unsure, try to replace “there” with “here.” If it doesn’t make sense, you’re using the wrong one.

Their - This is the one you use when talking about possession.

Ex: Their friends were extremely friendly.

Their dog is a purebred.

Switch out “their” with “our” to check if you’re using the right one. Again, if it doesn’t work out, it’s a mistake.

They’re - This is a contraction of they are. They’re=they are.

Ex: They’re eating lunch at the beach.

They’re in a meeting.

If you can’t substitute “they are” in place for “they’re” it's incorrect.

3. To, Too, Two

Of course, more homophones. I’m not sure who decided it was ideal to make so many words in the English language sound the same, but spelled differently with various meanings. Unfortunately “I don’t agree with the fabricated idea of homophones in the English language,” is not an excuse for not knowing the difference between "to," "too," and "two." And now that you’re reading this article, you really have no excuse at all.

To - "To" is used as a preposition, meaning before a noun, or before a verb to indicate it is in it’s infinite form, the basic form of a verb. Say what? I know, this sounds like a bunch of nerd talk that might have left you more confused than before.

Basically, you’re going to put "to" in front a noun when talking about anything in relation to it.

Ex: He traveled to New York over break.

I go to Loyola Marymount University.

The other way you can use “to” is when putting it before a verb to make it in it’s most normal form, without –ing or –ed attached to the end.

Ex: I need to walk the dog.

I have to read for homework.

Too - Again, there are two ways you can use “too.” You can either use it to mean something is excessive or as another word for "also."

Ex: The little girl was too short to go on the roller coaster ride.

I want to come too.

Two - You use two when talking about quantity, or simply, when you’re talking about the number.

Ex: There are two dogs at the park.

The two girls were best friends.

4. Its, It’s

Last homophone, I swear.

Its - You want to think of this the same way you would "her" and "his."

Ex: The dog loves its collar.

The truth has its way of coming out.

It’s - This one has the same concept as “you’re.” It’s=it is. You can always try to replace it with “it is” to see if it makes sense.

Ex- It’s a nice day today.

It’s one of those days.

5. Effect/Affect

These words sound extremely similar causing people to mix up the two, but there is a distinct difference in pronunciation. All you have to do for this one is know that "effect" is the noun and "affect" is the verb.

Ex: The rain is going to affect whether or not we can go swimming.

The weather had a negative effect on the team’s performance.

6. Nobody/Anybody

Here’s another one that really grinds my gears. This is an example of how slang has taken over, but it really does sound uneducated when people interchange these two words. They are also opposites of each other and can change the meaning of what you actually mean completely.

Anybody - another word for anyone

Nobody - another word for no one

Ex: Anybody can attend.

Nobody showed up to the soccer game.

You can’t say, “I can’t rely on nobody.” The most common mistake is using "nobody" in place for "anyone." If it feels like you’re talking in slang, you’re using the wrong one.

7. Except/Accept

I lied. Here’s another homophone for you. "Except" is used when something is the exception, or the unique situation when a rule no longer applies. "Accept" is to receive something.

Ex: She never eats fish, except for salmon.

He is going to accept his award from work.

8. Then/Than

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen this same mistake over and over again. That one letter difference is demanding to be noticed. "Then" is referring to time, whereas "than" is used when comparing.

Ex: I went on a run and then I went to the gym.

Annie’s sister has much longer hair than her.

9. Was vs. Were

Although these words both sound as if they could describe something in the past tense, that’s not the case. Only "was" can be used in place for something that has happened and “were” is used for hypothetical situations.

Ex: I was making cookies yesterday.

I can only imagine if that were to happen to me.

Note: The only case that "were" is used in the past tense is when the subject is plural (like "we" or "they".)

10. Alot is not a word.

It happens all the time and spell check can only help you for so long. There is a space between the a and lot. It can never be “alot.”

Ex: There is a lot of food left over.

There you have it! Next time someone uses one of these common mistakes, you can be the one to correct them. Don’t let yourself be the one that doesn’t get the job or receives a lower grade. Learn these. Please.