10 Things All Freshmen At SUNY Binghamton Should Know

Attention Class of 2020: You have a lot to learn, might as well start now.

313
binghamton.edu

College is a balance of work and play. Follow these tips to help you work and play more efficiently at SUNY Binghamton this Fall.

1. Make a friend in all of your classes

In college, you’re on your own. If you miss a class, it is completely on you to catch up quickly. This is so much easier if you can shoot a text to the person that sits next to you in class. Studying the class material with someone can also help both of you do better. So make sure you have at least one person’s number from each class to depend on.

2. Befriend a cab driver.

For those of us that don’t enjoy waiting in the cold for the bus heading downtown, Binghamton’s cabs are the way to go. But this isn’t NYC, where you can just lift your hand and hail one right away; it is much trickier. When you meet a driver that seems trustworthy, ask for their card and keep the number in your phone. Once you build a relationship with the driver, they’re more likely to pick you up over some randoms off the street.

3. The library is your friend.

I somehow went almost my entire freshman year without stepping foot into Glen G. Bartle Library. And once I started going regularly, I realized that I had been missing out on the best place to get work done. Dorm lounges are convenient, but have way too many distractions. Designate a quiet spot in the library to go to anytime you have some serious studying to get done. From what I’ve noticed, the further away you are from your bed, the more studying you’ll get done.

4. Office hours are so important.

Freshman year you’ll most likely be taking introduction-level classes, which can have upwards of 400 people enrolled. For main classes, it is important that the professor at least knows your face and preferably your name. The best way to achieve this is to attend their office hours and ask for clarification about topics you’ve been struggling with. This way, they know who you are, and they are aware you care about their class. Having a professor in your network is always a good thing, especially when you need recommendation letters down the line.

5. Don’t wear your nicest clothes when going out.

You should be aware that downtown isn’t the cleanest of places. It doesn’t matter if you’re at the bars or a frat party, there is a 99 percent chance that you will get some suspicious liquid spilled on you. Most places also have their floor covered in a layer of thick, sticky sludge that will inevitably end up all over your shoes, lovely.

6. Learn the bus system.

As a freshman, the OCCT buses definitely intimidated me.But once you figure out how the system and the schedule work, it can be a total lifesaver. Download the bus schedule so you’re ready if you ever need to leave campus.

7. Leave your door open when you’re in your room.

The people living on your floor are the easiest to become friends with. Dorm life offers the opportunity to be able to pop in and hang out with friends whenever. The best way to get to know everyone is to leave your door open when you’re hanging out in your room, letting everybody know that you’re open to socializing.

8. Take it easy on the Night Owl.

I have been in a serious love-hate relationship with “nowl” since starting at Binghamton. I mean, who wouldn’t want warm, gooey mozzarella sticks right after being destroyed by a test? But a few too many late night trips to Night Owl can be a ticket to the infamous “freshman 15.” So go ahead and treat yo’self with some curly fries, just not too often.

9. Be friendly with your RA.

Resident assistants, or “RAs,” are just regular students that are truly there to help you. They don’t want to bust you just as much as you don’t want to get busted. So becoming friends with your RA can make dorm life that much better for the both of you. Since they are at least a year above you, they’re the perfect people to go to for all sorts of advice.

10. Keep these numbers in your phone:

Harpur’s Ferry: (607) 777-3333

Safe Ride: (607) 777-7233

It is always better to be safe than sorry, so keep these numbers in your contacts and do not hesitate to call if you find yourself in a bad situation. Harpur’s Ferry is the student-run ambulance service to call whether you’re on or off campus. You’ll get quality medical attention and transport with nobill.

Safe Ride is a program built for any student that doesn’t feel comfortable walking across campus alone after dark. You can either call this number or pick up the phone at any of the blue light stations around campus to order a ride to safely escort you, also for free.

College isn’t so scary, especially if you’re prepared for any situation thrown your way. Best of luck with all of your adventures here at Bing, and don’t forget to enjoy being a freshman, you’ll miss it!