10 Endangered Animals You Didn't Even Know About

Info on some amazing animals that need your help

1175
Victor Tyakht / Shutterstock

In these difficult times, it is important to look more into both the natural and human threats to endangered animals. Turns out, there are hundreds of animals that we don't even know about that are endangered, threatened, vulnerable, critically endangered, or even extinct in the wild. They may not be as widely recognized as tigers and rhinos, but are still in just as much danger as being lost forever.

1. Dhole

Now these cuties may look like a fox, but it is actually a wild dog native to South Eastern Asia, particularly in India, Korea, and Vietnam. They are currently listed as endangered, because they are hunted by locals for the occasional theft of their livestock. What's cool about these guys is that they can also whistle, and sometimes scream.

2. Addax

The Addax is a twisty-horned member of the antelope family that lives in dry, desert areas in Africa, with only a few unconfirmed sightings in recent years. They live in herds that are led by the oldest female of the group. They are listed as Critically endangered. They're generally really easy to kill by their natural predators as well as humans because they are so slow, plus they are losing their habitat in the wild due to human agricultural growth.

3. Axolotl

Do not be alarmed by this scary looking little salamander! The axolotl (axe-oh-LOT-l) used to live in very cool caverns and lakes in central Mexico. However most of their habitat was destroyed when the lake was drained to avoid flooding, and are now critically endangered. Some are even kept as pets!

4. Brazilian Merganser

I like to think that these guys look like emo ducks. The Brazilian Merganser is a critically endangered water fowl with less than 300 remaining in the wild. The reason why is because they are extremely sensitive to habitat changes. When humans began to mine and farm near their habitat, it began putting too much sift and soil in the rivers that they relied on.

5. Gharial

This grumpy looking fellow looks straight out of prehistoric times, especially the iconic long, slender snout. Unfortunately, they may become history. Listed as critically endangered, they only exist in remote areas in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal. Their biggest threat right now is over fishing in their habitat, killing their main source of food and even tangling themselves in the net. Their population dropped dramatically in the 40's when they were sought after for their skins.

6. Saiga Antelope

Not all endangered animals are as majestic or regal as tigers and pandas... Behold, the Saiga Antelope, a critically threatened antelope native to parts of Asia and Russia. They were over hunted for the use of their horns as traditional medicine until they were protected in 2006. As for their goofy noses? It's actually a really, really short little trunk, and it helps to clean out the air before it enters their lungs.

7. Vaquita

Imagine a dolphin... but the size of a medium dog. That's the vaquita. Although they aren't hunted much by animals or people, they usually end up victim to nets meant to capture a big fish known as Totoaba... which is also endangered. Estimates put their population at around 200 in the wild, making them critically threatened.

8. Volcano Rabbit

The second smallest bun in the world, native to woodlands in Mexico. At least they would be if not for excessive logging and animal grazing causing loss of habitat for the Volcano rabbit, leaving less than 1000 in the wild, making them endangered. They've got teensy little ears and cute lil paws, living in complex burrows in rich soil by volcanoes in the woodland.

9. Giant Salamander

Imagine a salamander.... but the size of a medium dog. That's the Chinese Giant Salamander. A critically threatened animal, this is the largest amphibian in the world, able to grow as big as a full grown person. Their main threat right now? A full grown person. The giant salamander, although listed as a protected species in China, is still regularly over hunted.

10. Giant Otter

These giants can reach up to 5.6 feet and weigh in at an average of 70 pounds full grown, and used to range over the Northern half of South America. However they were and still are hunted for their fine pelts, making them endangered. It doesn't help that the giant otter is naturally inquisitive, and will approach humans to be easily killed.

There are still many more endangered species that many people do not know of. You can help their conservation efforts by visiting and contributing to your local wildlife refuge, zoo, or park; or donate at worldwildlife.org