10 Must Do's With Your New College Roommate

You wouldn't want to miss out on turning any of these suggestions into habits.

17
huffingtonpost.com

1.Talk About High School A Lot

College is all about reliving high school. Make sure you rehash all the drama you went through, and don’t forget freshmen year! If you want be a REALLY amazing roommate, you could even create a sort of “family tree” for all of the people in these stories. In no time, they’ll feel like they were there with you.

2. Their Clothes Are Your Clothes

No need to ask your roommate to borrow something. I mean you already live in the same room, so anything you like, take it. They will totally understand. It’s not like you won’t return it.

3. Invite a Partner Over All the Time

The bigger the social atmosphere the better. Help your roommate get to know more people by bringing home lots of people you’re trying to get to know better. Even better if that new person spends the night!

4. Don’t Shower Week One

New roommate means new connections. What better way to really get to know each other than your natural scent? Let it all out. If you’re comfortable, they will be too.

5. Come Home Drunk at Least Twice a Week

Your roommate is automatically your new brother or sister. That means they can take care of you too. Take advantage of that. But be sure not to puke on their bed too many times.

6. Facetime, Skype, listen to music as you please

You don’t need headphones. Secrets don’t make friends. Let them in on all of your life adventures. It’s even better if they’re trying to study because it’ll give them practice with distractions. Plus- who knows you might bond over having completely opposite music tastes!

7. Leave Your Clothes Lying About

College is all about living in the moment right? So if you’re trying to pick out an outfit, leave all the “no’s” around the room. No one has time to pick things like that up before they leave. Procrastination at its finest- you can always do it later.

8. Food Is Food

If you see food anywhere in your room, its fair game. After all, what’s the point of paying for your own meal plans if you can’t make the most of it. That being said, stuff they bought separately might as well fall into the same category. For example, my sister always loves coming home to find I ate her leftover pasta!

9. No Need To Keep A Bathroom Clean

Hair is going to fall out everywhere you go, including the bathroom. If you were expected to pick it all up, you’d never leave. So don’t force yourself to add another thing to your already busy plate.

10.Get A Pet

The best way to practice shared responsibility is to get something you both have to take care of. Set a brand new lizard on their desk and wait for the magic to boom.