10 Dos And Don'ts Of Freshman Year At Peru State College

Surviving freshman year isn't impossible.

43
YouVisit.com

If you're an incoming freshman to Peru State College this fall, chances are, you think you've had just enough advice for being a college freshman. There are certain basics that apply to all campuses, like bringing shower sandals, buying textbooks online for cheaper than you could get them at the bookstore, and of course, actually making it to your early morning class. Peru State College comes with challenges of its own, however. It will be useful to remember these simple tips for your survival of your freshman year!

1. DO bring a car.

Peru is a small town. There is one grocery store, one restaurant and one gas station that serves pizza. You're going to want to leave sometimes just to experience somewhere new. Bringing a car will also make you extra popular with people who didn't bring one!

2. DON'T leave every weekend.

It's awesome if your family is close enough to Peru that you could drive home on the weekends to see them, but there is just too much going on in Peru during the weekend to miss out! From dances and raffles to football games and Peru Theatre Company productions, the weekend is full of things to do at Peru. Don't miss out by leaving every weekend!

3. DO bring food for your dorm.

Seeing as the cafeteria, Casey's pizza and Zack's Bar and Grill are the only options for food in Peru, it would be a good idea to bring a few microwaveable meals to keep in your dorm. Even though you are required to have a meal plan your freshman year, the caf food is going to get tiresome quickly.

4. DO bring good walking shoes.

Because Peru is on the bluffs of the Missouri river, the town is much more hilly than you would expect. Just walking back to campus from downtown is quite a hike. If you live in the Centennial Complex, campus is a good five minute walk away. Apart from the hills in town and on campus, there is a great trail that you must experience, as well as the 1.75 mile walk down to the mighty Missouri.

5. DON'T get stuck in your dorm.

It might be tempting to sleep between all of your classes, or go back to your room right after dinner, but there's a whole world to experience out there! Explore campus, enjoy the sunshine on the quad and make new friends. There are tons of people who have unique interests, and it's up to you to find them.

7. DO join extracurricular activities.

There are so many clubs and activities on campus that are fulfilling, fun, and enjoyable that it's flabbergasting when someone doesn't join in the festivities. Campus Activities Board is in charge of deciding what fun events come to campus, Red Cross Club organizes blood drives and sometimes charity events, the Peru State College Times runs a monthly newspaper, and there's even a PRIDE club that organizes the annual Drag Ball! Not only will you be engaged, but clubs are a great way to make friends, as well!

8. DON'T be afraid to ask questions.

Overall, Peru State College has a wonderful staff that is willing to talk to you whenever you need it. Because of the small campus size, the professors will quickly get to know you by name. Ask as many questions as you need to understand a concept, or even ask for directions to your next class. Even upperclassmen will be happy to help you with whatever you need!

9. DO be kind to everyone.

This seems like a no-brainer, but this is especially important on a campus as small as this one. Peru State College is quite a small school, and chances are you're going to run into the same people over and over, especially if your major doesn't have many people in it. Negativity breeds more negativity, but if you spread goodness, people will do you good in turn. This also means being considerate to your roommates and your floormates. Respect quiet hours, and they will respect your quiet when you're frantically writing that midterm paper in the wee hours of the morning.

10. DO make as many friends as possible.

Friends are what makes the world go around! Make good friends, have crazy late night adventures in Walmart, and make dinner together in the basement kitchen of Eliza Morgan Hall— the possibilities are endless with friendship. The friendships you create at Peru State College will last a lifetime, so just get out there and smile. Say hello! Peru is a great place for community and creating bonds.