10 Disadvantages To Being An Only Child

10 Disadvantages To Being An Only Child

Be thankful for your siblings.

27605
10 Disadvantages To Being An Only Child
AnthonyBurt.com

Last week, I wrote more of a humorous perspective on “10 Advantages To Being An Only Child.” If you have not read that article, here is a link to it: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/10-advantages-to-being-an-only-child. This week, I will be taking more of a serious look about the Disadvantages.

Although it may seem being an only child is pretty amazing, trust me, it is not all as it is cracked up to be. If you happen to be like me, you will understand what I am talking about. But if you so happen to have a sibling, then hopefully you will understand how lucky you are to have a brother or sister after reading this.

1. You will be lonely.

Even though it is great to have personal space and time to oneself, an only child will never feel as though they will ALWAYS have someone their own age to talk to.

2. You will not be able to learn from the mistakes of an older brother or sister.

Let’s face it, older siblings make a lot of mistakes. I have heard that they usually get in trouble. As an only child, I had no one my own age to show me what is right and wrong.

3. There are no playing buddies around 24/7.

For me, I really wish I could have had someone to play with when I was younger. I would have friends over every once and a while. But that would be done within a couple of hours.

4. You won't get to complain about how annoying your siblings are.

One thing I don’t really understand: my friends would always talk about how annoyed they were of their sister(s), but the next day they would have these “sister moments” where all of the complaints would be forgotten.

5. There will be no else to blame for the mess you made.

Sometimes kids get away with it, other times they don’t. As an only child, your parents don’t ask who broke something valuable. They just know it is probably you.

6. When you go on vacation, your parents are who you will be doing all the fun activities with.

Don’t get me wrong, going on vacation with your mom and dad is fun and all, but Disney World or The Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be much more exciting if someone your own age could experience these adventures with you.

7. You won't be able to brag that your so-and-so's brother or sister.

Let’s be real, if your brother was the star quarterback, that would be pretty cool. And, if someone threatened to beat you up, I am pretty sure your brother would go teach them a lesson.

8. . . . Until you go off to college.

In my last article, number 8 of the Advantages list was, “The whole world will revolve around you. . .” After you are dropped off at college, your mom will be balling her eyes out. Things will be very different for your parents. It will be very hard for them to let go. They will have a one and done scenario. No other kids to keep at home, and no others to send away.

9. Nieces and nephews will be few and far between.

If your future spouse does not have any siblings, then you are out of luck. An only child has less of a chance to spoil any little kids that are not his or her own.

10. No matter how hard you try, you will never get that sibling bond that everyone else has.

Even though it is great being an only child, I wish I could have had a brother or sister. I always wanted to have that sibling relationship. When I see my friends with their sister or brothers, I understand that what they have is quite special.

For all of you with siblings, I get that they may be really annoying at times. So what? At the end of the day, all that really counts is that you love them no matter who they are or what they do.