10 Differences Between The "Divergent" Books And Movies

The books are always better

909
Not Adam and Steve

When the "Divergent" movies first came out on the big screen, I was really excited. I loved the books. I finished the entire series in three days. I loved the story, the characters and I had high expectations for the movies. The first movie did not disappoint me. It followed the story line closely, and I was really excited about the casting.

When "Insurgent" came out in theaters, I was a little disappointed because there was so much missing, and they kind of just created their own story line. "Allegiant," however, was a complete and utter disaster. There are 10 big things I feel they needed to point out in both "Insurgent" and "Allegiant" that are completely different from the book.

1. The Box.

In the book, there was no strange box that only a divergent could unlock. Tris didn’t have to go through all of the simulations to unlock the message. Instead, Tris and some former Erudites infiltrate Erudite to get into Jeanine’s private computer in order to uncover the information Jeanine has spent so long trying to hide. Tris does undergo simulations in Erudite, but it is because Jeanine doesn’t like the idea of a problem that she can’t hide and is trying to break Tris.

2.Tris can use guns in "Insurgent."

In the book, Tris is so crippled by her guilt from shooting her friend, Will, that she can hardly touch a gun without freaking out. In the movie, she seems to have no issue with it.

3. Tris and Four don’t fight throughout the entirety of "Insurgent."

In the book, there weren’t many moments where Four and Tris actually got along. Four disagreed with a lot of Tris’s choices because she didn’t think before she acted, endangering her life multiple times. Four got really frustrated with her blatant disregard for her own life. In the movie, they seemed to get along just fine and they barely even had one argument.

4. Evelyn kills Jeanine in the movie

In the book, Tori is the one that kills Jeanine. In the movie, they greatly decreased Tori’s role and decided to have Evelyn kill Jeanine.

5. Um… what’s this about stealing children?

In "Allegiant," the Bureau is shown to be stealing children from an area known as the Fringe for their own scientific purposes. Absolutely nowhere in the book is the Bureau depicted to be stealing children or anything similar. Yeah, the Bureau is bad,but it hasn’t reached the level of stealing children in the book.

6. They go back to Chicago to save the city from the memory serum.

The group never returns to Chicago before the ending of the book. In the movie, though, Tris, Caleb, Christina and Four all return to help stop the memory serum but it never happened in the book, and a large part of the plot was taken out. Tris had planned to use the memory serum on the council, but that part was never shown in the movie.

7. Four doesn’t help cause an explosion at the Bureau.

In the book, after Four learns that he’s not genetically pure, he kind of goes off the deep end. He teams up with Nita and they cause an explosion which causes some major damage to the Bureau and puts Uriah in a coma.

8. Uriah doesn’t end up in a coma and die in the movie.

In the book, Uriah plays a much larger part than he does in the movies. In the book, Four’s act of rebellion causes an explosion, and puts Uriah in a coma and later kills him. In the movie, Uriah is just seen as one of the “Allegiant” created by Johanna Mason, the leader of Amity. He never even leaves Chicago.

9. All the new technology.

In the book, there are no drones, plasma globes or glass elevators. In fact, most of the technology described is similar to the things we already have. In the movie, they got a little too excited when thinking about futuristic technology.

10. "Ascendant"

There isn’t really a difference in the books and movies except for the simple fact that there is no book called "Ascendant." If they were going to split the movie into two parts, they should have just called it “Allegiant: Part 1 and Part 2,” respectively.

I’m a huge fan of the "Divergent" books. I was so excited that they were being turned into movies The movies are good on their own but when you compare them to the books, it’s kind of sad. They’ve changed so much of the story and I personally think that the movies would have been much better if they had kept the original director. I will still go see" Ascendant" in theaters, but I don’t have high hopes for the movie, especially with rumors that they are changing the ending.