10 Differences Between Then, Now & The Future

We experience the same things every year, but they're just a little different as the years go by.

70

We still wish we could eat a Big Mac and a half without it having any effect on us--our metabolism took care of that. We also wish the job search would end and our future would stop depending on letter grades. Of course in 10 years we'd wish anything away to have the college years back. There are obviously ups and downs at every age. Things that happened back then don't mean what they do now, and let's really hope we aren't going to parties with our parents when we're 30. We can only hope for the best. Here we go on a blast from the past, the present, and a glance at what looks like a mediocre future.

1. Getting a call from a random number

10 years ago: You were getting pranked called by your crush and his group of friends at their sleepover.

Now:Your heart drops to your stomach because this could be a phone interview you applied for a month ago.

In 10 years: Just answering with your name because it's most likely work related and you need to sound professional.

2.Going to bed early

10 years ago: It either meant you were in trouble or it was the night before you started that week of standardized tests in grade school where Mom always made a really good breakfast so you could focus.

Now: It's just short of the greatest thing ever because it means you don't have to cram a bunch of school work into the wee hours of the nighttime. Or, you should be cramming and are past the point of caring.

In 10 years:9 p.m. is now considered a late nighter.

3.Getting a "C" in a class

10 years ago: You tried to hide your report card even though your parents have "REPORT CARD DAY" written on the calendar. They wouldn't let you have play dates or go to soccer practice until you pulled your grades up.

Now: A "C" in organic chemistry or Calc 2 deserves a drop to the knees whilst praising the good blue skies above.

In 10 years: You either crush the presentation to the new clients or you don't.

4.Packing your bags for a trip

10 years ago: The "play bag" consisted of Gameboys ("Super Mario Bros." anyone?), your Tamagotchi, "Pokemon" cards, and that little electronic 20 Questions ball you thought could actually read your mind.

Now: We have our phones and a pair of headphones in hand. Done.

In 10 years: You'll either have the kiddies in the back headed to the lake or Vegas with your buddies. Both provide enough entertainment without electronics.

5.When one or both parents came to parties with you

10 years ago: You experienced the worst case of embarrassment, anxiety, and everything in-between, often telling them to drop you off a safe distance away from the destination and make sure they drove out of sight before you stepped foot into the party house.

Now: There is such a thing as "parents weekend."

In 10 years: If this is still an issue for you, I suggest moving out.

6.When June hit

10 years ago: Bonfires to burn your year of school work (a.k.a. spelling tests), weekly water balloon wars with the neighbors, and lemonade stands.

Now: We better be doing something productive during the week from nine to five otherwise we are harshly labeled as bums.

In 10 years: You flip the calendar to June.

7. Going to see a movie

10 years ago: Mom packed her purse full of snacks to save money, but still bought you a slushie and most likely a soft pretzel at the theatre.

Now: You don't go with Mom and you don't buy or bring anything because you're a broke college kid.

In 10 years: "Gosh I can't remember the last time I saw a movie."

8. Spring break

10 years ago: Consisted of swimming with the dolphins, every girl coming back with beaded cornrows from some sketchy lady on the beach, or Disneyland with your grandparents.

Now: We scrounge up any and all change we have to make it to Frat Laudy and pray that we survive the week.

In 10 years: That's five days out of your vacation time.

9. The pre-bedtime routine

10 years ago: Read "Junie B. Jones" for a little bit and then write "30 minutes" on your reading log sheet you have to turn in at the end of the week.

Now: Do a quick brush-up on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Tumblr, Snapchat, Pinterest, aaaand I think that's all of them. Wait, is StumbleUpon still a thing?

In 10 years: Back and forth between the news, checking email, and Jimmy Fallon.

10. Getting to go to McDonald's for a meal

10 years ago: Back then, utter and extreme happiness.

Now: Same.

In 10 years: Unless you've become that fitness-obsessed, yoga-going 30-year-old or an aspiring marathon runner, probably same.