10 Things To Do In Detroit During Spring Break

You need to check out these spots

180
PEXELS

Although spending spring break at home instead of somewhere exotic might sound boring, if you’re from the Detroit area, as I am, there are actually many amazing things the city has to offer no matter the time of the year. Now that our continent is shifting from winter to spring, if you find yourself at home in Detroit during spring break, here is a list of fun things to do in the city, from the from classic spots, to some hidden gems, the city is overflowing with options.

1. Visit the Riverfront

The riverfront is a classic spot to go in Detroit as it offers a relaxing yet fun option for those who want something to do in the city. Whether it's riding the carousel or taking pictures by the river where Canada is visible from the other side, the riverfront will never disappoint.

2. Stop by the GM Renaissance Center

This iconic location is the most well-known skyscraper in the city and you can visit any one of the many restaurants, shops, or theaters that occupy this famous building,

3. Visit the Detroit Public Library

Open since 1865, the library is a great place to go if you are a bookworm. With a staggering amount of books and a building filled with history, it is the perfect spot to get lost in a good book.

4. Go to Campus Martius Park

At any given time of the year, you can expect this downtown park to be alive with energy and activity. Overflowing with a variety of different food options, gardens, historical monuments, and beautiful landscapes, the park is a never-ending spot for things to do.

5. Explore the Detroit Institute of Art

Known for having some of the best art collections in the country, the Institute is a good time out. Check out everything from modern art exhibits to the General Motors Center for African American Art, which features, 400 pieces of work by African American artists.

6. Visit the Detroit Historical Museum

If you’re a history buff, you’ll have a good time learning about the elaborate history of the city. The Motor City Exhibition, where you can see the history of the industry that gave the city its nickname, is just one of its many interesting displays.

7. Go see the Motown Museum

A staple of Detroit, the place that launched those from the Jackson 5 to the Temptations, Motown records will forever be embedded in the city’s history. So you have to visit the spot where so many famous hits were made at least once. You can explore the recording studio as well as the home where Barry Gordy lived.

8. Visit the Heidelberg Project

The Heidelberg Project is a great spot to drop by if you’re a lover of art and free expression. An outdoor art project in the city that was created in 1986, the project began as a political protest and has turned into one of Detroit's Most well-known locations.

9. Go to John K. King Used & Rare Book

Whether you’re a lover of books or vintage things, you have to make sure to visit John K. King Used & Rare Books. Michigan’s Largest used bookstore has an array of selections to choose from is a great option to explore it’s estimated 1 million book titles in stock.

10. Comerica Park

Visiting the home of the Detroit Tigers will be a great time, especially considering that this is not your average ballpark. Equipped with a baseball museum, ferris wheel, and carousel, it is a good place to spend the day.