10 Cringeworthy Trends From Early 2000 Middle Schoolers

Guaranteed to make you cringe with nostalgia.

817
The Morning Call

As cringeworthy as these trends may seem keep in mind that fashion trends tend to repeats themselves, often in different variations. So if you’re cringing at what you wore and did ten years ago, just imagine yourself ten years from now. But don’t beat yourself up over this, odds are you definitely are not the only one cringing about these past trends. Here are ten cringeworthy middle school trends that are sure to make you nostalgic.

1. Silly Bandz
They were in every color, shape, and even glowed in the dark. Whether you were trading them with friends at lunch or buying yourself a whole new pack of animal-shaped ones, these were the hottest accessories of your junior high school.

2. Cargo PantsThey were perfect for those days when you didn't want to carry a backpack because all of your belongings could be put into the multiple pockets. You could take everything and the kitchen sink with you. It was so convenient! They were not only trendy but also comfortable. They also came in different in the cutest patterns, plaid, solid colored, and the iconic, camouflage!

3. Side bangs
This was the hairstyle to get in the early 2000s. Who cares if they made your forehead break out or constantly got in your face, you were keeping up with the latest and you were cool.

4. Hair bow clips
Aside from silly bands, these were the cutest accessories to match the colors on your latest pair of colored capris. And of course you would never want them to prevent you from showing off your sidebangs, so you would simply just place in the middle of your hair. It’s purpose was for style, definitely not practicality.

5. Shutter shadesSpeaking of style over practicality, one of the biggest statements of fashion in the millennial world were shutter shades. If Tilly’s had it then you just had to buy it. Nevermind the fact that you couldn’t see out of them or that they failed to block the majority of sunlight from your eyes. All the cool people, especially Kanye, were wearing them. A definite must have.

6. Velour Sweatsuits and Gaucho Pants

Before Lululemon and VS Pink leggings, were the original cute and comfy wears. Velour sweatsuits were both comfortable and satisfying to wear. I mean, what else from Juicy Couture would you wear? And if Britney wore it, why wouldn't you? For times that required a little more class but did not necessarily warrant a dress or skirt, we looked to Gaucho pants.

7. Turtle Necks
Whether they were ribbed tank tops, or striped long-sleeves, or a combination of both, these were guaranteed to keep you warm during the winter-- even if you didn’t live in a place where it snowed. It's true! Just look to fashion icon, the late CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs.

8. TamagotchisOur first experience of taking care of another being. For those of us who weren’t allowed to have pets, this was the next best thing. We were introduced to the idea of marriage and family. We took care of our tamagotchis like they were our own children and mourned when their time came to an end :( . Its small, egg-shaped form and attached key chain allowed you to clip it to the belt loop of your cargo capris and bring it with you wherever you went!

9. HeelysThese amazing, innovative skater shoes allowed you to go from walking to rollerblading within seconds! It made trips to Costco much more eventful, as the garage-like, warehouse floor proved to be the perfect surface for your totally awesome footwear. If you had a pair of Heelys you were automatically one of the coolest kids in school, as you cruised by all your friends with regular, walking shoes. These were the original hover-boards.

10. Razor Scooters
Your means of transportation to and from school, to the park to hangout with your friends on the weekends, these man-powered machines were the hottest modes of transportation around your junior high. If you didn’t have a ripstik, you had a razor scooter. Nevertheless you never seemed to fail to hit yourself in the ankles with it every time you road it.

Feeling nostalgic yet? As much as we all wish we could go back to a simpler time, some things are better left as memories. We outgrow our Heelys and cargo pants, the batteries of our Tamgotchis die, and we grow out our side bangs, as we grow up. There's no telling what will be on a list like this for today's middle schoolers, ten years from now.