10 Cool Places To Work As A UVa Student

10 Cool Places To Work As A UVa Student

Working during the year might be about the money, but it can also be about enriching your educational experience.

1398
10 Cool Places To Work As A UVa Student
Monticello.org

When students are considering ways to bolster their resumes with work experience, the first things that may come to mind are summer internships. There are many fantastic ways for your summer to bring your resume to the next level, but what could be just as crucial to launching your future career is a work experience that you had during the school year. Luckily, UVa and Charlottesville are bursting with hands-on, engaging work opportunities available during the school year. Whether you're looking to tap into your scientific side or your creative spirit, there is a position out there for you.

1. Working in a lab for a professor

Lab research in a scientific department, such as biology, chemistry, and physics, is a fantastic way to get to know your professors and dive deeper into your chosen academic discipline, while often also getting paid. Working in a lab will bolster your grad school application and improve your knowledge of whatever major you've declared, science or social science. Depending on your preferred course of study, some lab positions may be more competitive than others, but if you have a genuine connection with a professor you'll always have a leg up on the competition.

2. TAing for a class in your academic field

As an undergrad TA at UVa, you generally get paid to go to lectures, have office hours, and answer questions from students taking a class you've already mastered. If you have the time and the desire to help others, it's a no-brainer. You'll feel fulfilled from helping students to understand a difficult subject that you love, and you'll feel perhaps a bit relieved when no one shows up to your office hours and you got paid to sit and do homework for several hours. Either way, it's a win-win.

3. JoyRun

JoyRun is a student-to-student food delivery app that has been launched at over 60 campuses nationwide, including UVa. It's a fantastic way for UVa students to do favors for each other, and also make money doing runs for other students. JoyRun came to UVa just last semester and is still looking for more paid Growth and Marketing Interns to join the UVa team, so if you want a job with very flexible hours and easily visible results, look no further than applying to JoyRun this semester.

4. Tutoring for UVa athletes

For prospective or current Curry students, or really for any students vaguely interested in education, consider applying to tutor UVa student-athletes. It's a small time commitment with a big payoff, and you'll potentially be combining your loves of UVa sports and helping others. Who knows, your tutelage could nourish the educational career of the next Malcolm Brogdon.

5. BackStory Radio

UVa students who like podcasts, history, radio, media, or all of the above, this may be up your alley. BackStory Radio is based in Charlottesville and is a weekly podcast that focuses on how background stories in American history have shaped our present culture. It is often involved with various humanities festivals and history events around Charlottesville, which of course has a rich history in the American psyche. Located in downtown Cville, this podcast offers a wonderful opportunity for UVa students to uncover the truth about their past and examine how it is relevant today.

6. Cavalier Connect

Despite the fact that I am holding the "2" upside down in this picture, which I hope was on purpose, I loved working at Cavalier Connect. It has a friendly work environment and sharpens your telemarketing and communications skills like few other jobs can. It's also been a valuable talking point for any job I've applied to since, and for that I'm very grateful. If you're looking to work off-grounds in a friendly job that is all about promoting new developments at UVa to parents and alums, definitely consider working here.

7. An art museum downtown

Charlottesville is a hub for many things, including food and history, but it's also the perfect place to pursue your passion for visual art and museums if that's where your interests lie. There are several art collections around Charlottesville that take UVa student interns in the summer and during the school year, including the above-pictured gallery. The world of museums doesn't have tons of full-time job openings in collections and curation, so if those are your passions, get as much experience as you can in Cville during the year.

8. The UVa Drama Department

Yes, I see potential for improvement with some of their academic requirements and aesthetic choices, but I know several people who have enjoyed working in the Drama department during the school year. Whether you're a costume assistant, an usher during shows, or work behind-the-scenes doing publicity, the Drama department has many opportunities for artistically-inclined students to indulge in their passion outside of school hours. It's a wonderful way to contribute to the University while not straying too far from your extracurricular interests.

9. Ragged Mountain Running Shop

I first heard about Ragged Mountain Running Shop during my first year at UVa, when my professor used it as an example of an extremely well-run business that focuses on excellent employee training and personalized customer service. I'm not an avid runner, but I did visit the shop once with my dad to buy socks, and I have to say every one we encountered in the store was extremely friendly and helpful. Most of their part-time employees during the school year are students, and I believe they're still looking for help this year, so it's not too late to add yourself to the legacy of this Charlottesville institution.

10. Monticello

Finally, if all you're really looking to do in a job is learn more about Thomas Jefferson and his accomplishments, look no further than a job at Monticello. They have opportunities for interns and tour guides year-round, and at only about a 15 minute drive from Central Grounds, it's practically a no-brainer for enthusiastic history majors with a car and a dream.

The places I've listed above are all jobs that either I or friends of mine have worked, and they represent a wide variety of opportunities for full-time UVa students who may have maxed out their extracurricular quota and are looking for different ways to fill their time. Depending on your schedule, working and studying simultaneously may not be for you. However, most student job opportunities in the greater UVa area have flexible hours and are understanding of occasional conflicts, so don't let those stop you from pursuing your passion outside of the classroom.