10 Cool Old Houses To Satisfy Your Inner History Nerd

Not content with just listening to Hamilton? Go see it come to life instead.

78
WorldStrides

When you think of fun summertime activities, beach trips, pool trips, or days in a nearby city may come to mind. Perhaps visiting a local historical landmark is not at the forefront of your mind during the off-season from school. However, I happen to love visiting old estates and houses and learning a bit about their residents, whether they be national landmarks or little-known local favorites. There are surely hundreds of preserved old houses to visit all over the country, but here are ten places that I've either visited or intend to visit one day that definitely ignite my inner love for learning more about U.S. history.

1. Monticello

As a UVa student, visiting Monticello at least once during your four years in Charlottesville is a necessity. Not only to learn more about our beloved TJ, who gave us the school we attend, but also to get a fascinating look into a multifaceted historical figure who wanted to be more known for founding UVa than for being the 3rd US President. I've only visited once, but I feel a palpable urge to go back and take in as much local history as I can.

2. Hyde Park

If you're a fan of FDR, presidential libraries, or places with a movie named after them, then this place is for you. I visited with my family a few years ago and learned a boatload of interesting facts, including the fact that when British royalty was scheduled to visit Hyde Park, paintings depicting American victory in the Revolutionary War were supposedly switched out for different artwork. My memory might have failed me on remembering the exact details of this fact, but the point remains that Hyde Park is a fascinating and informative visit.

3. The Paul Revere House

I've only been to Boston once, and I'd love to go back if only to fully immerse myself in its historical significance, which includes this famous house. This residence is apparently the oldest building in all of Boston, which makes sense because it sort of looks like an old abandoned haunted house in this photo. I have a feeling that if anything were to haunt the Paul Revere House, it would be the ghosts of British soldiers angry that their stylish red coats are now a symbol of colonial oppression.

4. Montpelier

Another presidential home located near Charlottesville, this former residence of U.S. president James Madison was another fascinating visit. It's in same the vein as Monticello, but without the overhanging scandal of infidelity. I enjoyed hearing about the various renovations that have taken place at Montpelier over the years, and how it appears to be catching up to Monticello and UVa by finally restoring its slave quarters. Montpelier may not be as well-known a destination as Monticello, but as a home of a U.S. founding father it is absolutely a worthy stop.

5. Hyde Hall

This home actually has nothing to do with FDR's Hyde Park, but was instead the home of the Clarke family in the 1700s through the early 1900s, and is still being renovated and restored to its original state today. Tucked away near Glimmerglass State Park in upstate NY, this lovely home is a hidden gem alongside the shimmering beauty of Lake Otsego. I enjoyed learning about the family's ties to Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, Girl Scout founder Juliette Gordon Low, and the Titanic. Want to find out exactly what these ties are? Well, either Google it, or stop by Hyde Hall while passing through upstate NY and find out all of its secrets.

6. The Schuyler Mansion

I'm no data analyst, but I can pretty much guarantee that visitation to the Schuyler mansion has increased exponentially since Hamilton opened. I can safely say that my interest in visiting has arisen solely because of my love for Hamilton, but even as a fan of the musical I know that I have much more to learn about Philip Schuyler, his daughters, and his place in revolutionary American history. Located in Albany, NY, this site is a must-see for Hamilton fans, and for history purists wondering what all of the fuss about a historical rap musical is about.

7. The Vanderbilt estate

I've been to this Long Island landmark on several family outings and school field trips over the years, but no matter how many times you visit, it never fails to amaze. From the awe-inspiring planetarium to the garage filled with fancy old cars, everything about the Vanderbilts seems larger than life. I'm sure that as a wide-eyed eight year old, or however old I was the last time I visited, I did not fully appreciate the historical value and grandeur of the Vanderbilt estate, and whether you've been a few times or have never been, this place is certainly worth a stop.

8. Ashlawn

The third in the triumvirate of "presidential houses near Charlottesville" and former home of "that guy with the doctrine we learned about in APUSH" James Monroe. I have yet to visit Ashlawn, and from a picture it looks a bit less magnificent than Monticello and Montpelier, but Ashlawn is jam-packed with visitor value. Located on acres of farmland, Ashlawn and the larger estate of Highland is home to the Albemarle County Fair, music throughout the summer, and classic southern charm.

9. Hearst Castle

Whenever I next visit California, I'll be sure to put "having my jaw drop just from looking at Hearst Castle in person" on my itinerary. This mammoth estate was home to newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst and is so big that it features hour-long tours of multiple individual segments of the house. Hearst even had a private zoo at his estate on top of a place called the "Enchanted Hill," which should tell you all you need to know about how opulent Hearst Castle is. I vow one day to make it out to California and marvel at how much richer Hearst was than anyone I will ever know.

10. Mount Vernon

The creme de la creme of U.S. historical homes, this is perhaps the most famous historical site in Virginia. I visited it years ago, but I believe that the house itself was closed for renovation and we could only tour the surrounding grounds. Mount Vernon is known for very carefully preserving its outer buildings to simulate how the plantation ran in Washington's time, and also does not shy away from discussing the role of slavery in its daily operations. It also features, like Hyde Park, its very own library where inquiring minds can research all they wish to know about George Washington and revolution-era America.

These sites all keep visitors coming back year after year because they bring American history to life in a fresh, modern, topically relevant way. Of course, no historical site lives up to the bill of "bringing history to life" quite like Colonial Williamsburg, but since Williamsburg is more of a town rather than just a house I left it off of this list. Nonetheless, especially on the east coast, there are a plethora of historical houses in the U.S. to satisfy your weekend travel bug this summer.