10 College Wardrobe Essentials Every Girl Needs
popular

The go-to outfit items that every girl needs in her closet.

2355
Shanna Camilleri

Whether you're going into your first year of college and have no idea what to bring, want to update your wardrobe for school, or just need an excuse to go shopping (because back to school clothing shopping is the best), I've compiled a list of 10 things with links that I couldn't live without at school.

1. Black Skinny Jeans

Black jeans have been a staple wardrobe piece of mine for class and going out. It's super easy to dress them up or down and they go with everything, especially if you love wearing neutral tones as much as I do. Check out these jeans from Hollister.

2. Comfy Sweatshirt

Whether it be one from your university, a place you visited over the summer, or from your favorite brand, sweatshirts are the way to go. For those 8 A.M.s, a cozy sweatshirt, leggings, and sneakers will not only be comfortable but cute. Replace the leggings with jeans and throw on a bomber jacket for a more put together look. Check out this sweat-shirt from Brandy Melville.

3. Jean Jacket

If I ever lost my jean jacket, I don't know what I would do. It's flown with me across the country, been wrapped around my waist at concerts, and kept me warm on chilly night outs with my friends. It's so versatile that I wear mine to literally everything and everywhere. A tip is to buy them a size up for a trendy oversized fit and so you can layer sweaters under them. Check out this jean jacket from Forever 21.

4. Basic White Tee

I think everyone needs a basic go-to white tee. It's great for layering, and it goes with so many different kinds of bottoms. I'm really digging ones that are slightly sheerer because they can show off your bralettes but still be appropriate for class. Check out this white tee from PacSun.

5. Neutral Sneakers

If you do a lot of walking on your college campus a neutral pair of sneakers is a must have. Adidas superstars, Vans slip-ons, white Converse, or whatever brand of neutral-colored sneakers you like are going to be versatile for all seasons. It makes getting dressed easier because you don't have to give too much thought into what shoe will match what you're wearing. Check out this pair of sneakers from Famous Footwear.

6. Party Shoes

Unfortunately, the floors of frat houses are filthy. I know it's super tempting to wear those new really cute boots you got but you will regret it when they are completely wrecked. So, I either wear my old pair of white converse (and just throw them in the wash afterward) or my inexpensive pair of slip-ons from H&M. Check out this pair of shoes from H&M.

7. Leggings

This one is pretty obvious, but leggings are a go-to. It's good to invest in a quality pair of plain black ones that won't be see through, fall apart, or fade after four washes. Even as someone who likes dressing up for class, I wear leggings a lot. Check out this pair of leggings from Victoria's Secret.

8. LBD

From fancy dinners with your friends to sorority events to Halloween costumes to last minute frat dates--a little black dress is the answer to it all. Your future self and your friends will thank you. As Karl Lagerfeld brilliantly said, "One is never over-dressed or underdressed in a little black dress". Check out this LBD from Forever 21.

9. Versatile Skirt

Skirts aren't for everyone, but it was definitely an essential for me; plus they're more comfortable than pants, in my opinion. Throw on a denim skirt instead of jeans, and you'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes. Pair them with thigh high boots and a cropped sweater in the fall or with a cute tank top and sandals in the hotter months. Check out this denim skirt from PacSun.

10. Stylish Backpack

I'm definitely more of a purse person, but with carrying a laptop and tons of school supplies, I've found that a backpack works better for me. So, I found a happy medium with a stylish backpack that will add to your outfit not take away. Check out this backpack from Call It Spring.

And there you have it! Ten things that every college girl needs in her wardrobe. Whether you're excited to go back to school or not, at least you'll be prepared and look great.