10 Books You Should Read In Your 20's

10 Books You Should Read In Your 20's

Because sometimes we need to step away from social media.

78
10 Books You Should Read In Your 20's

1. "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

Amy Poehler's "Yes Please" is an incredibly hilarious memoir that exposes readers to Amy's crazy life. This is the perfect book to curl up with in your warm bed. Her chapters touch on different subjects ranging from her life as a child all the way to praise towards her nannies. This book is not just hundreds of pages of just pure narrative, this books contains many different aspects, including lists, pictures, and spaces to write in reader's thoughts.Through comedic writing, Amy shows readers it is okay to accept and embrace the trials of life.

2. "Beloved" by Toni Morrison

This book is both difficult to put down and difficult to get out of your head. This Pulitzer-Prize winning novel, focuses on the journey of a runaway slave and her daughter when they suddenly meet a woman named Beloved. This book exposes the reality of life in the South during slavery through poetic prose. This book will tug at your heart strings, so make sure to keep a box of tissues in reach.

3. "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson

This book is based off of true events that happened during the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. This book exposes the serial killer, Dr. H.H. Holmes, who lured victims to their death using a "murder castle." This nail-biting thriller appeals to all types of readers. Do not hesitate to read this book.

4. "Girls in White Dresses" by Jennifer Close

This witty read resonates with any 20-something-year-old. This sarcastically fun book covers a group of friends and their drunken escapades. Every chapter contains short anecdotes that revolves around the different characters. This book will have you laughing, crying, and even reflecting back on your own life and personal experiences.

5. "The Dvil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger

If you thought the movie was good the book is even better. Anyone who has ever had a monster boss will especially appreciate this novel. This book is about a small town girl who gets hired to work as an assistant to Miranda Priestly. The story of an overworked assistant who is forced to change will entertain anyone over this long winter break.

6. "#GirlBoss" by Sophia Amoruso

Sophia Amoruso tells a story about how she got her claim to fame. She started out struggling, but after deciding to sell vintage clothes online, she started her career. Eight years later, she is now the CEO of Nasty Gal. "#GirlBoss" is written for all the people who are seeking a unique path to success. This is a refreshing story that will motivate all readers to follow in her steps to success.

7. "Bad Feminist" by Roxane Gay

A previous professor here at Eastern Illinois University, Roxane Gay's "Bad Feminist" is a compilation of various essays that discuss everything from Paula Deen to "The Bachelor." Her writing shows a fresh opinion on issues ranging from sexuality, class, and gender. This book is perfect to stow away in your bag.

8. "The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories" by Marina Keegan

This book was released after the death of Marina Keegan, after she tragically died five days after she graduated from Yale University. Her book covers different topics including what it is like to leave home, to have a comfort zone, and even going off into the unknown. Her writing can strongly relate to everyone in their twenties.

9. "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without me? (and Other Concerns)" by Mindy Kaling

This book is incredibly funny and extremely relatable. By the end of this book you will be begging to be Mindy's best friend. Kaling writes about romance, friendships, and about her childhood. The humor in this book will leave you laughing out loud from chapter to chapter. This is a sure way to make any bad day good.

10. "Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar" by Kelly Oxford

This is a hilarious book that will be hard to put down. Kelly Oxford, or the Queen of Twitter, wrote a memoir about her life with her husband and kids. The funniest and most relatable part of this book is that she openly admits that she is a terrible person. Just like her Tweets, her book is incredibly real, witty, and satirical.