10 Books To Binge-Read This Winter Break

As if you haven't spent enough of your semester reading.

28
College Magazine

As if you haven't gotten enough reading in through out the last semester, I know there are a few of you out there who, like me, will still spend every free moment of your coming winter breaks curled up with any book you can get your hands on. Here are a few suggestions (or Christmas present ideas, Mom?) to get you started.

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

This family drama follows the Plumb siblings after a disastrous mistake brought on by their eldest brother forces them to reexamine their lives and relationships. As the holidays draw near and many will be returning home, this novel will help you appreciate the family you have.

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick

This hysterical novel from the iconic Anna Kendrick will take you through her growing up stages - both in and out of the spotlight. As she takes you through her successes and failures while she tried to navigate to her place in the world, Kendrick's novel will help you realize that it's okay if you don't have it all figured out.

Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

This historical fiction novel, based on the real letters of the author's grandparents, follows the lives of three young adults in World War II. The love triangle between Tom, Mary and Alistair combined with the struggles that come from being a young adult during a war will showcase the emotional depth and connection of author Chris Cleave.

13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad

While this novel chronicles the life of Lizzie growing up as a "fat girl," the real message behind the story is that, no matter what you look like to anyone else, you are your own biggest critic. Examining what makes this culture so body-image obsessed, Mona Awad pens a poignant novel of falling in love with yourself first.

The Atomic Weight of Love by Elizabeth J. Church

Spanning 30+ years, this novel follows Meridian from her teen years through adulthood, as she tries to find the right balance between her personal aspirations and relationships with the ones she loves. For anyone struggling with the weight of the world, this novel is for you.

Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham

Lorelai Gilmore herself has written a second book. This one, unlike her first novel, is a nonfiction memoir about how she got to the point where she could finally say that she had "made it." Through the experiences she had and the lessons she learned, Lauren Graham takes her audience on a roller coaster of what it takes to achieve your dreams.

Your Heart Is a Muscle the Size of a Fist by Sunil Yapa

This novel is for anyone struggling to figure out who they are going to be at the end of their personal tragedy. While struggling with the death of his mother and the divide between him and his police chief father, follow Victor as he comes to the end of himself and must decide how far he is willing to go for who and what he loves.

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

This novel examines a slight deterioration of the butterfly effect- how one event can radically change the lives of five generations in two families. In a tale of familial loyalty and learning who has your back during the worst of times, this novel takes family drama to a whole new level.

The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan

A provocative look at the aftermath of a deadly explosion, the novel follows young Mansoor after losing his two best friends to a bomb explosion in a small Delhi marketplace. Mansoor must deal with both the physical and psychological repercussions of the explosion, all while figuring out how he goes on from here.

The Girls by Emma Cline

Emma Cline takes her audience on a psychological journey on the coming of age that teenage girls face. When teenager Evie begins to hang around with the members of a small, local cult, she realizes how quickly her life is changing, and how she must take control before it spins out of her reach.