10 Body Positive Women Worth Worshiping
popular

10 Body Positive Women Worth Worshiping

To the women who teach us that it is okay to love ourselves.

3844
10 Body Positive Women Worth Worshiping
Ashley Graham

There are few people on this Earth who have never felt insecure about their body. Traditionally, there are only a few body types that are deemed attractive by popular culture and anyone who doesn't fall within those measurements is made to feel ashamed of their body in some way. Completely normal qualities like a blemishes or a leg with cellulite are considered imperfections. Dressing appropriately or attractively means hiding these "imperfections," certainly never flaunting them, and least of all accepting them.

However, the tides are beginning to change. Thanks to the power of social media and the slow but sure changes within the beauty and fashion industries, more bodies are being celebrated than ever before. The women on this list, as well as countless others, are preaching self-love and are refusing to be ashamed of their lovely bodies. They are changing the conversation on what is sexy, attractive, and beautiful. Here's to the women who are not afraid to love themselves.

1. Ashley Graham

If you have watched the news, been on social media, or looked at a magazine cover in the last few years, you've seen plus-size model Ashley Graham. Although she has been carving out a path for plus-sized women for years, she really made a splash when she was the first plus-sized model to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. Personally, before seeing Ashley in major magazines and advertisements, I had never seen a woman that looked like me being represented as modern and attractive before. For that, I will always be thankful.

2. Winnie Harlow

Winnie, now a world-famous model, got her start on "America's Next Top Model." She has a skin condition called vitiligo that causes patches of her skin to lose pigment. Our culture up to this point has not celebrated any kind of irregularities in skin. Thanks to Winnie, vitiligo and other skin conditions are being pulled out of the shadows and are being cast in the attractive light they deserve.

3. Emily Ratajkowski

Although Emily does not have a body type similar to many of the other women on this list, she is extremely body positive. No one loves and celebrates their body as publicly as she does. Her Instagram is full of photos of her wearing next to nothing because she feels at her best when she is naked. She loves her body and refuses to be ashamed of that.

4. Tess Holliday

As the first size 22 supermodel ever, Tess Holliday knows a thing or two about loving yourself. She believes that size should not dictate fashion. She calls herself a body positive activist and has worked with other celebrities and campaigns to spread the message of self-love.

5. Jessamyn Stanley

You may recognize her from her Kotex commercial or her Instagram with a massive following. Jessamyn is a yoga instructor and author from North Carolina who has appeared on news outlets like "Good Morning America," and New York Magazine. She wants women to love themselves and use their body for their own good, not just to be seen as attractive.

6. Mindy Kaling

This actress, comedian, and writer is used to criticism. Being in the public's eye, Kaling gets her fair share of harsh comments. For most women, the most cutting criticism would be in reference to our bodies because we are taught that it is our value. When it comes to Kaling, she is calling B.S. She has stated that being called unfunny or unintelligent are so much more of an insult than "fat" because fat is not who you are.

7. Melissa McCarthy

When she came into the spotlight, McCarthy was one of the heaviest women in Hollywood, but she has never let that stop her. She steals the show every time and is now one of the most bankable actresses in the business. Even though she has lost a considerable amount of weight in the last few years, she is not turning the story into how she "looks better than she has since she was in high school." She just claims that her weight fluctuates like any other person.

8. Iskra Lawrence

Iskra is a model for Aerie and American Eagle Outfitters as well as an ambassador for the National Eating Disorders Association. She is ground-breaking in that she does not allow her images to be too heavily edited or retouched. She does not want her body to my altered to look unrealistic in order to prevent others from trying to obtain an unobtainable body.

9. Megan Jayne Crabbe

Known on Instagram as @bodyposipanda, Megan uses the platform to discuss overcoming her eating disorder and promote a healthy body image. She critiques diet culture and talks about healthy goals and ways to accomplish them.

10. Bo Stanley

Bo is a former professional surfer and contestant on "The Bachelor." After a career in surfing, she pursued her dream of becoming a plus-sized model. She is now an ambassador for Healthy is the New Skinny, a campaign that aims to change the fashion industry by accepting beauty at all sizes.