10 Biblical Ways To Turn Any Bad Day Into Something Beautiful
Christianity

He didn't promise us this life would be easy, but in the end it's all worth it.

113

Everyone experiences bad days. It can start by simply hitting the snooze button too many times and being late for class or forgetting an umbrella with the unexpected weather. Sometimes no matter how hard we try, unfavorable things keep coming our way and seem to be getting worse and worse.

Our bad days influence our moods to choose and be upset or angry at family, friends, and even God due to the circumstances. While our worst days can make us feel helpless and exhausted, try to step back and look at the world around you. God never promised that this life would be easy, but He gives us the most perfect information and advice to conquer all our trials and tribulations.

Here are 10 biblical ways to turn any bad day into something beautiful due to his forgiving, everlasting love and presence:

1. PRAY

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." — Philippians 4: 6-7

Many of us don't understand why certain things happen in our lives and that is OK. God states that we are to pray about everything: the good, the bad, and the ugly. He knows every thought in our mind and desires that we will use our strengths and passions to glorify Him. There is no promise in these verses that all of our problems will go away immediately. Prayer takes time, and the peace of God which transcends understanding will come down on us when we pray.

2. READ

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." — 2 Timothy 3: 16-17

Knowing that we should read the Bible daily, it can be difficult to read over a few verses when we are having a bad day. However, filling our hearts with scripture helps quiet our mind and spirit to give us direction. Opening up the Bible and reading a certain passage will often time lead us to the perfect verse that relates to our own situation. The hardest step is admitting we are having a bad day and then giving God the reigns to lead us through the storm.

3. LAUGH

There's a time for everything "a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance." — Ecclesiastes 3: 3-4

You may have heard before that laughter is the best medicine. Anytime I am around people who are joyful with a sense of humor I am hopeful that they can help turn my day around. If you are having a rough day I encourage you to surround yourself with people who will try to make you laugh. Watching funny videos together, reminiscing on old memories, or playing games is a great way to cheer up. There's always going to be a time to weep and mourn, but don't forget to laugh either.

4. SING

"The Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation." — Psalm 118:14

I'll admit I'm horrible at singing. I have a terrible voice and don't like to sing loudly (especially at church). What makes me keep going, however, is the fact that proclaiming the Lord's praises give Him glory. God didn't intend that music supersede or undermine the Word. He gave us music to serve the Word, and for that music becomes a powerful gift from God that complements and deepens the words we sing. Singing can help us remember verses, and in times of doubt or rough patches, we have lyrics to cling onto.

5. ENCOURAGE

"Be strong and take courage, all you who wait for the Lord." — Psalm 31:24

Even if we are experiencing a bad day, we are to have hope in the Lord that He will deliver us from our trial. Being patient is hard, and waiting is no fun. If you're going through a rough time, you'd be surprised at how much relief you may feel by simply calling someone and reaching out for help. Encouragement makes us feel better and having someone to share our thoughts with helps us clear our minds. Reach out to someone that will be your shoulder to cry on and will listen to your problems. Who knows? Maybe one day you'll be able to return the favor to them.

6. GATHER

"For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." — Matthew 18:20

Now I get what you might say about this one. Often times when we are having a bad day we don't want to be around people. We want to seclude ourselves and stay in our own little bubble. But what's the use in wallowing in our sorrow and anger? How will that help our situation? One of our greatest temptations is to become inwardly focused. Yet, God calls us to gather, and we are to know that He is among us in all circumstances.

7. REMEMBER

"Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me." — Isaiah 46:9

Everything bad that is happening in our lives should remind us of the good news. There is only one God, and He is unlike any other. There is no one like Him, and there will never be anyone like Him. Without Christ, we have no hope. But through his love and sacrifice, we have faith to overcome our trials and dwell on His presence. Remember the good news of the Gospel.

8. THINK

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things." — Philippians 4:8

Those who experience a bad day will often time be thinking of dark, ominous thoughts. There is no way to stop being pessimistic without having a shift in attitude or outlook. We need to fill our minds with only the things that are worthy to be in our minds. Honor God by listening to worship music, reading over a few verses, or praying about your situation. Be intentional with your time to help overcome a bad day.

9. SHARE

"Go into all the world and share the Gospel to the whole creation." — Mark 16:15

There is a difference in going to a friend and sharing your thoughts than complaining about your situation. Complaining makes us focus on the negative and confiding in another allows us to seek encouragement on how to proceed forward. As Christians, we need to be the support system for our brothers and sisters in Christ, sharing the Gospel wherever we go.

10. REST

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." — Matthew 11:28

The simplicity of Jesus's promise is both humbling and refreshing. We don't have to worry about our future because it is all in His hands. When we are weighed down by burdens, He is there to pick us up. Jesus does not want our souls resting on the how and the when, but asks us to trust Him as if we are wise enough to understand and determine His answers. God always keeps His promises. We just have to have faith and keep believing.

Every day gives us a chance for a new adventure. Know that our time on this Earth is short, so make the most of every moment. Don't wallow in doubt, anger, or sorrow. Surround yourself with people who will encourage you to get back up and conquer the day.