The 10 Best (Worst) Disney Villains

The 10 Best (Worst) Disney Villains

Savages everywhere.
408

Everyone loves Disney. If you don't love Disney, you must be a fish. Or maybe a mole. Whatever you are, you clearly are not human. Disney has become such an aspect of childhood across the world. The company is loved for its beautiful and talented princesses, it's charming and heroic princes, captivating stories, enchanting music and art and so much more. Go into a Disney store and you will be greeted by Mickey Mouse and his gang and all the magical princesses of the land.

However, most Disney die-hards tend to forget about the best (worst) Disney villains. No one likes the bad guys but sometimes, you kind of have to. I don't mean that you will lock a princess in a tower, but you have to admire Disney's character development. I have henceforth complied a list of the 10 best (worst) Disney villains.

10. The Hunter, "Bambi"

This scene will make a grown man cry. Although we never see the hunter, the audience knows Bambi's mother isn't coming back. Yes, I know hunting aids keep the deer population in check; nonetheless, seeing a mother killed and a baby left behind is heartbreaking.

9. Captain Hook, "Peter Pan"

You cannot have a villains list without the infamous Captain James Hook. In Disney's cartoon, the producer made him seem more comical and spoiled. In the novel, however, JM Barrie described Hook as bloodthirsty but elegant. Hook was also Blackbeard's second hand and the only pirate Long John Silver feared. Captain Hook kidnapped children in order to get what he desired. Hook was clearly more than a codfish.

8. Ursula, "The Little Mermaid"

I'm sorry if this makes you uncomfortable. Ursula was a nasty witch in every way. She constantly took advantage of poor unfortunate souls just so she could gain something in return. Her business offers with other merpeople always gave her the upper hand and ensured that she would win. She takes Ariel's voice, which can be seen as taking away a major part of the young princess's confidence. Ursula's alter ego, Vanessa, takes the role of the other woman and makes sure Prince Eric forgets about Ariel.

7. Doctor Facilier, "The Princess and the Frog"

If you don't recognize the name, Dr. Facilier is the voodoo king in "The Princess and the Frog." Let me just say, he is flat out creepy. The first time I watched this, I couldn't believe something so dark and frightening would be in Disney movie. The doctor practices voodoo in New Orleans and uses dark magic to get his way. His evil spirits almost resemble lost souls. Creepy, huh?

6. Lady Tremaine, "Cinderella"

Most people know her as "Cinderella's evil stepmother." A nasty widow with a greedy heart, she locks her stepdaughter in the attic and forces her to serve her and her daughters. Cinderella means nothing more than dirt to Lady Tremaine.

5. Maleficent, "Sleeping Beauty"

For starters, her name means "to cause or produce evil." That alone should tell you enough. Intent on Aurora pricking her finger, she goes to every attempt to make sure the sleeping beauty does not wake up.

4. Hans, "Frozen"

I have never heard more curse words screamed at the movie theater screen. We can all agree that Hans is a donkey... or, at least, its cousin. I don't think I have ever been so mad at a character in my life. He completely uses Anna as an attempt to marry into royalty. Not only is he extremely cunning, but his evil is almost too realistic.

3. Scar, "The Lion King"

Once again, a scene that could make any grown man cry. Scar is number three because he kills his own brother and then attempts to kill his nephew. Because of his crazed obsession with power, he ruins the pride lands. The pride has no access to food unless they go miles out of their territory. Scar was a ruthless killer who would kill his own family for wealth and power.

2. Governor Ratcliffe, "Pocahontas"

Ratcliffe hits number two because what he did actually happened. If you pay attention to the lyrics of "Savages," Ratcliffe roars about wanting to "destroy their evil race /until there's not a trace left." The lyrics leave me with chills. They are so spot on to how terribly the settlers and Native Americans interacted. The settlers had nothing but blood and battle on their minds.

1. Judge Claude Frollo, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

He is such a dark character that I don't know where to begin. What makes him the best (worst) villain is how realistic he is. As a man of the church, he is held to certain standards. Judge Frollo craved Esmerelda in every way possible, although much of that is implied. He sings to his fireplace abut how he craves the gypsy but fears for his immortal soul. Frollo forces Quasimodo to believe he is an ugly monster and refuses to help him when Quasi is being made a fool in front of the entire square. Judge Frollo shows no mercy and continues to battle with his inner demons.

Although antagonists, Disney villains should be appreciated as much as the protagonists. Even villains have reasons for being evil.