10 Of The Best Female Vocalists Age 25 And Under

The true voices of our generation.

2009
Pop Crush

In 2012, pop star and “The Voice” judge Christina Aguilera won the Voice of a Generation award at the American Latino Media Arts Awards Ceremony. Wowing the audience with her spectacular vocal skills since she was a child, Xtina truly deserved that title. But as she ages, she will have to pass the voice of a generation to a younger diva. In our competitive music industry, I admit that although many young female singers release successful hits, few of them sing well live. The studio basically tweaked their voices during recording to make them sound more appealing for the song. Sad, but true.

There are (thankfully) exceptions, however. These 10 ladies below not only carry a tune, but actually possess a magnificent voice and are all-around talented performers. Like Xtina, they know how to impress their audience and fans in both their studio and live performances.

1. Madilyn Bailey, 23-years-old

Cover artist Madilyn Bailey continues to amaze her YouTube viewers with her awesome renditions of popular songs, which include “Titanium” by David Guetta and Sia and “Believe” by Cher. Her beautiful, angelic voice has an airy quality, and I could fall asleep just by listening to it. Many of the songs Bailey covers are originally too range-y for her soft voice, but I like how she tones down the tune’s power and makes the song her own. She also sings with a Wisconsin accent, making her voice distinctive among other singers. Bailey is one of the best singers ever to rise from YouTube.

2. Meghan Trainor, 22-years-old

I’m sure Meghan Trainor’s hits “All About That Bass” and “Lips Are Movin’” have been annoyingly stuck in your head before. These hits were the songs I’ve first heard from her so I didn’t necessarily care about her before. But Trainor proved me wrong by surprising me with her vocals in her song “Like I’m Gonna Lose You,” in which she collaborated with John Legend. Her voice has a slight Southern twang, one that’s full of character and spunk. Not only can she sing well, but rap decently too—probably not a Kendrick Lamar level, though. She recently won a Grammy for “Best New Artist.” That says a lot about her potential.

3. Jessica Sanchez, 20-years-old

“American Idol” runner-up Jessica Sanchez totally deserved to win in 2012. Phillip Phillips is talented, but on a vocal standpoint, he’s not even at the same level as Sanchez. YouTube viewers have called Sanchez “baby Beyonce,” as her voice sounds very similar to the R&B diva’s voice. Her rich, powerful voice blew away the “Idol” judges, as well as the judges of “America’s Got Talent.” After “Idol,” Sanchez released a song she performed with Ne-Yo called “Tonight,” which is mediocre if you ask me. Nevertheless, her talent is immense, and she also covers songs brilliantly. Check out her rendition of Ariana Grande’s “Problem.”

On the side note, I saw Sanchez in Disneyland’s Red Rockett’s Pizza before, and wanted to approach her and tell her she should have won “Idol.” But she immediately left with her big group of friends. Oh, the fandom.

4. Christina Grimmie, 22-years-old

Starting off her music career on YouTube, Christina Grimmie is quickly rising to stardom. She is an excellent vocalist, one who’s capable of showing off all parts of her voice—her soothing lower range, upper range/head voice, and even her falsettos. Grimmie’s tone has nasal quality, but she still sounds amazing. She executes piercing, edgy belts that you could hear from a distance. Her terrific vocal skills and musicianship made her earn third place in “The Voice.” I think she’s way better off without that show; her voice gives me chills every time. When Grimmie covers songs, she tends to make them better than the original, especially her take on Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball.” You will actually enjoy that song after listening to Grimmie sing it. Don’t forget her mad piano skills!

5. Ariana Grande, 22-years-old

The most overrated out of all the singers in this list. Her music is far from the best and her cutesy, giggly personality and mini dresses can get really annoying, but…you can’t deny her singing talent. Out of the mainstream artists topping the Billboard and touring like there’s no tomorrow, Grande is one of the few who possesses musical expertise and good technique when she sings, thanks to her theatre background. Super high notes are no biggie for her, as her voice has a light tone. I personally wouldn’t consider her singing at the same level as Mariah Carey, but her wide range, smooth vocal runs, and ease in her belts still make her a great singer regardless. The legendary Andrea Bocelli recently collaborated with Grande in the Italian song, “E Più Ti Penso.” Maybe Grande would become universally likeable if she sang more ballads.

6. Demi Lovato, 23-years-old

Have you seen Demi Lovato’s Grammy performance of Lionel Richie’s “Hello”? She sang so well, even Lionel Richie was moved! Her voice probably has the most power and resonance of the singers on this list, and she’s essentially the best belter of this generation. Lovato’s voice also carries emotions, so yes, she can and will make you cry when you hear her ballads. She released her new song “Stone Cold” earlier this year, and you will shed a tear (or feel like you will) listening to that song. To become an exceptional performer, a singer should pour their heart out into a song. Lovato does exactly that. She also has great stamina on stage and knows how to work the crowd. Her voice tackles many genres, including rock, R&B, and country.

7. Tiffany Evans, 23-years-old

Tiffany Evans needs a lot more recognition in the music industry! This R&B songstress has been singing her butt off since she was on “Star Search.” Her vocal technique is second to none, as she demonstrates perfect pitch, consistent tonality, and dexterity throughout all parts of her range. Evans also manages to bring soul, emotions, and power in her voice, making her the most technically-skilled out of the singers I’ve listed. If you aren’t familiar with her, she sang “Promise Ring” with Ciara back in 2008. She released new singles last year, and I hope she continues to do that this year. Ellen should seriously have Evans sing in her show; it’ll be one hell of a performance!

8. Charice, 23-years-old

Anyone who sings the powerful ballad “Because You Loved Me” alongside Celine Dion should be a fantastic vocalist, let alone being a potential “voice of a generation.” International superstar Charice never fails to amaze an audience with her strong, magnificent voice. Don’t let her short size fool you with that big voice of hers! Charice starred in the show “Glee” as an exchange student who made Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) jealous with her impressive singing skills. Charice’s voice is full of power and passion, and my heart stops beating when I hear her belt out a single note for at least 20 seconds. I think I’d start coughing if I do that. In my opinion, she is the only one who can pull off Beyonce’s difficult-to-sing hit “Listen.” Charice has been performing in the Philippines recently, but please return to the U.S.!

9. Tori Kelly, 23-years-old

Multi-talented, yet horribly underrated, Tori Kelly possesses an outstanding voice and musicianship, which make us question why Simon Cowell didn’t enjoy her “American Idol” audition. Come to think of it, I hate that show and am glad it’s ending this year. Kelly’s voice will give you chills up your spine. Her melisma (vocal runs) flows smoothly, making it signature throughout all her songs. She possesses a raspy, almost child-like voice that sounds rather pleasant and sweet. Not only does Kelly sing amazingly, but she is also a gifted guitarist and songwriter; her songs “Dear No One” and “Confetti” actually have quality lyrics. I was totally rooting for Kelly during the Grammy’s since she is, by all means, a genuine artist.

10. JoJo, 25-years-old

I’ve saved the best for last. JoJo, in my opinion, has the potential to be the voice of our generation. JoJo is the most well-rounded vocalist out of all the singers I’ve listed here since she has a wide vocal range, effortlessly delivers melisma, and could manipulate her voice into different genres (though she’s most comfortable in R&B). JoJo is consistent throughout her performances, even sounding great when she’s sick. She also has excellent stage presence and you can tell she loves what she’s doing. It upsets me how JoJo is underrated, but I am so happy that she has made a great comeback last year when she released three singles from her third studio album. You go, girl!

So, which favorite singer of yours isn’t on this list? Comment below.