8 Animes You Need To Watch If You Don't Watch Anime

Some of the best stories come in cartoon form.

1443
Geek Factor Radio

Anime, Japanese hand-drawn animations, has been around for years and years, first popping up back in 1917 and then again in 1960.

Like regular shows, movies and books, the story possibilities are endless. After becoming a major western pop culture staple in the last 20 years, the shows get better and better. Whether their worth is judged by the art, animation, story line or writing, many animes are held closely to the hearts of fans and continue to dazzle newcomers.

Here are eight of the best anime that I have watched, and if you're interested in getting into the culture of anime -- these are great titles to start with!

1. "Ouran Highschool Host Club" (2006)

Even though this anime is turning 10 years old this year, this is a great story to start getting into anime. Meet Haruhi Fujioka -- she gets into the elite Ouran High School on scholarship and is surrounded by the filthy rich! Nothing is out of the ordinary until she sneaks into a seemingly unused music room and breaks a vase worth more than her entire existence!

Enter the host club -- a group of constantly bored guys who love entertaining their female classmates. And of course, they mistake Haruhi for a guy and force her to work for the host club to pay off the vase. And well ... hilarity ensues! Who doesn't love a good gender bend romance!

Available on: Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video

2. "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" (2007)

Mechas, fan services, bromances and touching storytelling -- what more could you ask for in a show? "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann," or otherwise referred to as simply just "Gurren Lagann," follows the story of mankind after it has been forced underground by tyrannical Spiral King, Lordgenome. The Spiral King created Beastmen, beings with both human and animal DNA, and order them to kill any human they come in contact with on the surface.

Then there is Simon, our main character, and his "bro" Kamina, who live in Jiha Village and have never seen the surface their entire lives. One day, he comes across the disembodied head of a mecha while digging and the rest is seriously history for the two. Team Dai Gurren forever!

Available on: Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll

3. "Your Lie In April" (2014)

Beautiful animation? Check. Deep characters? Check. Fantastic art? Check. Fantastic storytelling? Check. Gut-wrenching emotion? Check ... check ... check! "Your Lie In April" centers around Kousei Arima, a withdrawn piano prodigy still living in the shadow of disappointment left by his late mother.

Ever since her passing, he has neglected the piano and refuses to play, much to the dismay of his childhood friends. Life is very monotone ... until he meets Kaori Miyazono. Then, as the tagline of the show suggests, his life begins to change. If you're looking to go through like, 10 boxes of tissues for 22 episodes, this is the exact anime for you.

Available on: Hulu, Netflix (English dub), Crunchyroll

4. "Sailor Moon" (1992)

Like any other magical girl anime or manga, Usagi (or Bunny in the English dub), is a normal 14-year-old girl who is horrible at math, loves the arcade ... and the older boy who works at the arcade. One day she comes across a cat with a band-aid on her forehead and helps take it off for her. After that, everything that Usagi knew and loved, changed. She is told by the cat, Luna -- who can talk -- that she is Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon and the other Sailor Scouts, whom she must find, have to protect the galaxy and their home planets from the control of an impending evil.

There is also a 2014 reboot of the series with new art and updated character models, but the story is essentially the same. "Sailor Moon" is revered as a cult favorite with many spin off series, movies, novels and collectible items. Regarded as the OG magical girl, she gave way to other beloved magical girls we love now. Moon Prism Power Makeup!

Available on: Hulu, Amazon Video

"Crystal" Remake Available on: Hulu and Crunchyroll

5. "Fullmetal Alchemist/ Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" (2003, 2009)

Widely accepted as the staple animes that everyone needs to watch, "Fullmetal Alchemist" and "Brotherhood" both follow the lives and adventures of brother Edward and Alphonse Elric after their mother passed away and they tried to bring her back to life. It is a known rule that in order to obtain something, something of equal value must be lost. In order to bring their mother back, Alphonse's body was taken. Edward, afraid he was going to lose his brother, gave his arm and leg and tied Al's soul to a metal suit of armor. The two work to find the Philosopher's Stone to bring back Al's body.

What needs to be established here is there are distinct differences between the original series and "Brotherhood", but both of them are worth the ride to watch (even though "Brotherhood" is way better). With amazing animation, fight scenes, tear jerking moments and enough comic relief for many shows to come -- give "FMA" a try. (Plus many prefer the English dub, and that's what I watched both series in, so that's a plus!)

Available on: Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Video

6. "xxxHolic" (2006)

"There is no coincidence, only fate." Kimihiro Watanuki, born on April 1st and whose name also means April 1st, was born with the ability to see spirits. He sees everything in his life as a joke with no meaning. Until one day, he finds himself at the doorstep of Yuuko Ichihara, a witch who grants wishes. She can grant you anything you want, as long as the cost of the wish equals the payment. Yuuko finds that Watanuki's wish is far too great for any payment he has to offer, so she requires him to work there to pay off the wish.

Being a part of the extremely complicated and deeply connected CLAMP universe, "xxxHolic" gives many important life lessons with interesting yet beautiful art, deep scenes and dialogue that makes the series seem like it's in another league than any.

(This is my personal favorite.)

Available on: Hulu

7. "Bleach" (2004)

Samurai swords, fan service, expert fight scenes, deep backstories, the bond of friends and sheer loyalty are just some of the things you would expect to find in just a single episode of "Bleach." You find Ichigo Kurosaki, just trying to live a normal life with his friends, sisters and father, still living in the shadow of his mother's death when he was young. Only ... he finds out he has supernatural powers and is approached by Rukia -- a soul reaper.

Soul reapers protect humans from Hollows, who are human souls who have lost their way crossing over to the afterlife. He now has the charge to help Rukia kill Hollows, making many meaningful friendships, alliances and some big time enemies along the way. If you're looking for just the right amount of action mixed with bromances andromances, this is the anime you'd like to stream.

Available on: Hulu, Crunchyroll, Amazon Video

8. "Death Note" (2006)

Light Yagami is the model student. Handsome, girls love him, good grades -- he's just unbelievably bored. One day, he finds a Deathnote dropped by a shinigami, a grim reaper. The Deathnote has the power to kill a person just by writing their name. In order to kill someone, you need to have their first and last name written, while thinking of their face so people of the same name don't get confused.

It starts as Light killing criminals, accompanied by the shinigami Ryuk, whom the Deathnote belongs to. The more Light kills, the more he slips from reality. If you're looking for a show that has a tinge of murder mystery, multiple personalities, cute girls and a sweet tooth, you'd find "Deathnote."

Available on: Hulu and Crunchyroll