10 Movies From The 80s That You Should Watch Right Now

Watch them and then watch them again.

175
www.newhealthadvisor.com

For most people my age, the 80's were the decade in which our parents spent their teens. A lot was going on in the 1980's politically; the Cold War was still looming over us, The Berlin Wall still stood tall, and we had just elected Ronald Reagan. But the decade also saw MTV at its most popular (before it was trashy reality TV), some of the most iconic songs and albums to this day, great sitcoms, and the best movies ― hands down. When I think of my favorite movies, I think of the 80's. Grab some popcorn and get ready because here are my 10 favorite 80's movie suggestions and why, in no particular order. (I should really just do a separate article about John Hughes movies, but I am including them here for now.)

"Back to the Future" - 1985

Disregard what I said about no particular order just for this. Because if you ask anyone what my favorite movie of all-time is, they'll respond with "Back to the Future". I don't really know what exactly it is about this movie that makes me love it so much. But I do know that love the story line. I love that Marty just happens to meet his parents when he travels back in time to 1955. I love the humor in the movie. I love that there are easter eggs hidden throughout the movie (and the whole trilogy) that reference the time period differences. I love the bubble vest and Doc Brown's dog, Einstein. All in all, it's a fantastic movie and I would recommend for you to watch it immediately.

"Pretty in Pink" - 1986

Okay, so my favorite part of this movie just might be this iconic moment in which Duckie shows us his moves to impress Andie. (For real, what's not to love about him?) "Pretty in Pink" is still relatable. Nice girl must pick between hot, rich guy or the sweet, funny guy that she's known her whole life. It's a movie that made me cry and anyone with half a heart probably cried too. Not to mention it's both a Brat Pack and John Hughes film, which makes it even the slightest bit more awesome.

"Flashdance" - 1983

First of all, let's just talk about THIS SOUNDTRACK. Songs like "Maniac" by Michael Sembello and "Flashdance... What a Feeling" by Irene Cara were popularized by this movie and always make me want to get up and dance. This movie follows main character Alex (Jennifer Beals) through her struggle as an exotic dancer and dream of becoming a professional dancer. It's a very empowering and inspiring movie and I would 100% suggest it both as a great 80's movie and a great movie in general.

"Sixteen Candles" - 1984

The Brat Pack never disappoints! (Neither does John Hughes for that matter). Seriously if you haven't seen this classic movie, go watch it! It's hilarious. Sam Baker's parents (and everyone else), forget that it's her birthday. Her day starts off in the crappiest way, but it ends pretty well. It's the perfect icing on the cake! (By cake I mean enjoyable movie.) Don't forget about the fact that it stars Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, John Cusack, and Michael Schoeffling! All the more reason to watch.

"E.T. the Extra Terrestrial" - 1982

What's not to love about E.T., the cutest little alien from 1980-something. E.T. is my most family friendly suggestion, but be prepared with a tissue box and maybe a second one, too. It is absolutely heart-wrenching, like how Pixar is nowadays. E.T. crash lands onto planet Earth, and also in our hearts. (Just wait until he drinks the beer and eats his Reese's Pieces! It's so cute.)

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - 1986

I don't know a single person, young or old, that didn't or wouldn't not want to have a day off like Ferris'. He (Matthew Broderick) skips class and spends the whole day exploring and adventuring through Chicago. Ferris also often breaks the fourth wall to explain what he is feeling and what is going on in that moment. This movie also stars Jennifer Grey, of "Dirty Dancing" fame and is a movie that should been seen by everyone at least once!

"The Breakfast Club" - 1985

I just don't even know how to put into words my feelings about "The Breakfast Club." (Another Brat Pack movie, yay!) It is a classic and a coming-of-age movie. If you ask anyone that grew up as a teen in the 80's what the best movie from then is, I would say 7/10 people would say "The Breakfast Club." It discusses so many important issues, has quite wonderful comedy, and tugs at the heart strings, all while using a few different sets. To me, "The Breakfast Club" is the best high school film of all time, but I will let you be the judge of that.

"The Empire Strikes Back" - 1980

I'd like to apologize if the above gif ruins or spoils the movie for you, but I am under the impression that even non-Star Wars fans know about the biggest plot twist of all time. Anyways, this is my favorite movie out of all of the Star Wars movies. It just so happened to come out right as the 80's began, so I decided to include it. I love this one the most because it features lots of plot progression, the Battle of Hoth (my favorite battle), and lots of iconic moments. Make sure if you do watch this one, you watch Episode IV first so you get the full effect.

"Top Gun" - 1986

Though I just recently (in the past few weeks), finally sat down and watched "Top Gun", I consider it one of the best and one of my favorite 80's movies. It is the perfect mix of romance, comedy, and manly stuff. (Because sometimes that is important too!) Also, Tom Cruise stars as the main character. "Top Gun is definitely worth the watch, especially if you like military movies.

"The Outsiders" - 1982

I am rounding out my list of suggestions with a classic movie based upon the classic novel of the same title, "The Outsiders." This movie features an iconic cast including: C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Emilio Estevez, Ralph Macchio, Matt Dillon, and Diane Lane. (Recognize any of those names? There are more Brat Pack members in this one!) It has a thrilling storyline and some iconic moments in it, too. I give it a solid 8/10 and I think you will as well!