Almost Quarter Life Crisis

Almost Quarter Life Crisis

Not Quite a Quarter, Like a 1/5 of The Way Through Life

6
Almost Quarter Life Crisis
Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District

Most people fall into 1 of 2 categories as they begin the rocky yet somewhat enlightening journey referred to as “the college experience”. You’ve either had your life figured out from point A to B, and have a 5 year, 10 year, 15 year plan, or you’re part of the latter group that’s kind of winging it. People don’t purposefully fall into these groups, life experiences, events, and relationships change how they perceive things, how they believe in things, and what and where they place their trust in. It’s daunting seeing your life choices being scrutinized, not working out, or becoming seemingly not what you’d imagined them to be.

It was only recently that I had a genuine, “Oh sh*t”moment. An epiphany that I didn’t know if I could stand working with some of the people in my field, or really stay sitting in a general econ course. At first, a thought occurred maybe I’m just burnt out, maybe I need some affirmation and should talk to my advisor and take some time off, temporarily that is. Two weeks later I realized time off wasn’t the answer, and that I wasn’t meant for what an economics degree entailed. I knew I could do well, but it didn’t excite me, or give me that awesome feeling when it all just kind of came together. I didn’t see it as a part of my future, and I damn well knew that having to do research in a field I didn’t care for was beyond me. I took the summer to look over career options, and realized for what I wanted to do I was in the wrong field. I’d need to change my major, and start researching degree requirements all over again.

That fear of having to start over, lose credits, and being in a largely uncertain position scares a lot of people. The reality is not doing what you’re passionate about will leave you worse off than being lucratively successful, that precarious feeling is normal when you’re not sure. We’re not often told that if you’re comfortable you’re doing something wrong, if you’re not excited, questioning, or not trying your hand at something unfamiliar you’re doing it all wrong.

We all want to be successful, make our families proud, and fulfill our dreams. It’s okay if your dreams change, and maybe they aren’t what you initially imagined for yourself, that’s the point of college. My roommate recently told me that the best things happen when you don’t necessarily expect it, or want it, but you just kind of have to roll with the punches.

When you look back on your life in five, ten, or even fifteen years your main concern won’t be I could have made five thousand dollars more annually. You’ll be too focused on where you are, and where you’re going. Your happiness will be the main focus, not your ability to buy a sixty thousand dollar car. Life never goes exactly how you plan, that’s a fact, what’s not is your ability to truly live with what life throws at you. In the end you just need to learn to roll with the punches.