Retired Attractions At Walt Disney World

10 Walt Disney World Attractions That No Longer Exist

We all love them and miss them.

159

Every Disney fan has that one attraction that is no longer a part of Walt Disney World that holds a special place in our hearts and our memories. We love to reminisce about them when we visit the parks. It's fun to see what replaced them, but while we all know that things come and go, it can be difficult to understand why the Imagineers would take certain things away from the parks. This list is to honor that nostalgia and to pay tribute to 10 Walt Disney World experiences that will never be forgotten.

1. Body Wars

c1.staticflickr.com

Located in Epcot from October 19, 1989 - January 1, 2007, Body Wars was a motion simulator attraction that "shrunk" the riders so that they could complete a mission inside of the human body. Guests were part of an observation team and were sent into a human body in order to help out Dr. Lair, who had been studying a splinter. It was the guests' mission to get themselves and Dr. Lair out of the body safely while avoiding attacks from white blood cells and trying to use brain power to recharge the ship.

2. Mickey's Toontown Fair

upload.wikimedia.org

From June 18th, 1988 - February 11th, 2011, Mickey's Toontown Fair could be found in Magic Kingdom. It had previously been known by several other names, and in 1996 it underwent an expansion for the parks 25th anniversary. Inspired by the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", Mickey's Toontown Fair allowed guests to visit the homes of Mickey, Minnie, and several other characters. The attraction eventually closed in order to make way for the New Fantasyland expansion, and parts of the land have been remodeled to fit into the Storybook Circus area. A similar land named Mickey's Toontown still exists at Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland, so we can all still visit Mickey's cartoon home!

3. Push The Talking Trash Can

c1.staticflickr.com

Push could be found in Tomorrowland from February 1995 - February 2014. Push was a radio-controlled robot that interacted with guests. Push was hysterical, and guests liked Push so much that there was once a movement to make Push the "Mayor of Tomorrowland". When news broke that Push would be retired from the Magic Kingdom, the hashtag #savePUSH started to trend on Twitter. Unfortunately, Push can no longer be found at Walt Disney World, but you can still visit Push at Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris!

4. The Earffel Tower 

upload.wikimedia.org

Hollywood Studio's original icon, the Earffel Tower was modeled after the water tower located at the Walt Disney Studios in California. A pun on the Eiffel Tower, the Earffel Tower looked like a water tower that was adorned with a giant pair of Mickey ears. Then-known as MGM Studios, the tower was located in the Studio Backlot Tour of the park. Sadly, the tower was removed on April 29, 2016, in order to facilitate the construction of Toy Story Land. The only other Earffel Tower was built in 2002 at Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris, and it has served as the park's icon since then.

5. The Sorcerer's Hat

upload.wikimedia.org

The second attraction to serve as an icon for Disney's Hollywood Studios, the Sorcerer's Hat was a huge photo spot for many guests. Inspired by "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" segment in the Disney film "Fantasia," the hat could be seen from 2001 to 2015. It was used as a venue for pin trading and replaced the Earffel Tower as the park's icon. Originally part of the "100 Years Of Magic" celebration, the hat was supposed to be twice as tall, with two ferris wheels for ears. Since the removal of the Sorcerer's Hat and the Earffel Tower, the Tower of Terror has served as the icon for Hollywood Studios.

6. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

upload.wikimedia.org

Based on the film, "The Wind In The Willows," Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a dark ride attraction that could be found in the Magic Kingdom from October 1, 1971 - September 7, 1998. It was an opening day attraction, and although it was modeled after the Disneyland attraction, it did have some unique characteristics that set it apart from the original, such as the fact that there were two different tracks to give riders a different experience depending on which track they took. The ride was eventually replaced with The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, though fans petitioned not to replace it. Small tributes to Mr. Toad can be seen throughout the Magic Kingdom, such as a statue of Mr. Toad in the pet cemetery outside of the Haunted Mansion and a picture of Mr. Toad handing the deed to the ride to Owl can be seen while riding The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh.

7. Snow White's Scary Adventures 

c1.staticflickr.com

Another dark ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures was originally constructed in Disneyland and opened in 1955 under the name "Snow White and Her Adventures." The ride intended guests to to experience Snow White's story from her point of view, which is why Snow White was not seen in her own ride. The Walt Disney World version opened on Magic Kingdom's opening day and was known to be more frightening than the original. This version also did not include Snow White, but the Witch was seen seven times, and many guests found the ending of the ride terrifying. In 1983, the version in Disneyland underwent some changes, including adding one image of Snow White herself. In 2004, Magic Kingdom's version of the ride also underwent some changes to make it less scary. The Magic Kingdom ride closed for good in 2012 and was replaced by Princess Fairytale Hall. Luckily, the remodeled ride can still be found in Disneyland, and guests at Magic Kingdom can still enjoy seeing Snow White while riding the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

8. The Great Movie Ride

upload.wikimedia.org

A dark ride located in Disney's Hollywood Studios, The Great Movie Ride was set in the park's replica of Grauman's Chinese Theatre. It was open from May 1, 1989 - August 13, 2017. It featured figures, live actors, special effects, projections, and intricate sets, representing films such as "Mary Poppins," "The Wizard of Oz," "Fantasia," and "Singin' In The Rain," along with many others. The Great Movie Ride was the last operating attraction in Hollywood Studios from the parks opening day. It is currently being replaced by Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway.

9. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage

upload.wikimedia.org

Found in Magic Kingdom from 1971-1994, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was one of the first rides at Walt Disney World to make use of anamatronics. Guests boarded submarines and were taken under a lagoon located in Tomorrowland. Divers, eels, crabs, sea bass, clams, lobsters, and turtles could all be seen as a tribute to the Disney movie. Guests had to survive a "storm," and were then taken through the Graveyard of Lost Ships, guarded by sharks. The ride took guests through the North Pole, the world of the Abyss, and Atlantis, where mermaids drenched in gold could be found. Finally, the most iconic part of the 1954 film would appear; the giant squid. Due to how costly the ride was to maintain, it closed temporarily in 1994, and officially in 1996.

10. Disney's River Country

upload.wikimedia.org

The first water park at Walt Disney World, Disney's River Country was open from June 20, 1976 - November 2, 2001. The park officially closed on January 20, 2005. Featuring a wilderness theme, the park was located on the shore of Bay Lake, and was described as an "old-fashioned swimming hole." Disney's River Country lost popularity once Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach were built, and a decline in attendance was the main reason behind the parks closure. The park was left standing, abandoned until March 5, 2018, when it was announced that the site would be used to build a new hotel, known only as "Project 89."