20 Literary Quotes That Stood Out To Me

20 Literary Quotes That Stood Out To Me

Literary quotes have the power to change lives

70
https://unsplash.com/photos/XRN9JXKKIYM
https://unsplash.com/photos/XRN9JXKKIYM

Writers change every reader life by creating something of value and writing what matters with passion.

1. "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise"

2. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway

"You have it now and that is all your whole life is; now. There is nothing else than now. There is neither yesterday, certainly, nor is there any tomorrow. How old must you be before you know that? If you stop complaining and asking for what you never will get, you will have have a good life."

3. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul."

4. William Shakespeare and Twelfth Night

"Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."

5. "Raisin in the Sun" by Lorraine Hansbury

"There is always something left to love. And if you ain't learned that, you ain't learned nothing."

6. "The Dead" by James Joyce

"His soul swooned softly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

7. "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy

"He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her like the sun, even without looking."

8. "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway

"You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another."

9. "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There are all kinds of LOVE in this world but never the same love twice"

10. "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teachings and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."

11. "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert

"Deep in her soul, however, she was waiting for something to happen. Like a sailor in distress, she would gaze out over the solitude of her life with desperate eyes, seeking more white sail in the mists of the far-off horizon."

12. "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell

"You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but is terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail."

13. "Charlotte Bronte" and "Jane Eyre"

"I am no bird, and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will. - Jane Eyre

14. "The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer

"The life so short, the crafts so long to learn."

15. "American Scholar" by Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think."

16. "Odyssey" by Homer

"Take courage, my heart; you have through worse than this."

17. "The Divine Comedy" by Dante

"My desire and will were moved already - like a wheel revolving uniformly by the Love that moves the sun and the other stars."

18. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

19. "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo

"To love another person is to see the face of God."

20. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

"People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for."