In Need of Finding Your Life Passion, Incoming Freshman?

To all the lost, incoming College Freshman

Feeling lost? Don't have a major yet? Don't have a clue of what you want to do with your life? Don't sweat it, I too was once in your shoes!

109
google photos

We all know of that one kid growing up, whether it be one of our siblings, our next door neighbour, or the know it all you were forced to sit next to in your 6th grade Math class, whom all swore they knew exactly what they were destined to do with their lives the day they popped out of the womb. Well let me give you some advice in which I pray you've already come across in your life times my sweet, innocent, incoming freshman.

Do NOT be fooled! The average person does not find out what their true passions are, aka their dream job, until the middle of their college career or hell, until they're 52 years old. I once had an extremely passionate film professor teaching one of my general education courses freshman year. After one of his intriguing lectures on the controversy between contemporary global popular entertainment and obsolete films, I walked down the overwhelming staircase to his desk and asked one simple question. "So, how exactly did you know this, preaching the history of modern day film to evolving young minds was your thing, your utmost passion? With a subtle smirk on his face, he looks up at me and says, "Oh honey, I'm 50 years old and still don't know what the hell I want to do with my life."

Does one truly ever know? I repeatedly asked myself soon after his surreal response. How could he NOT know, how could one be so passionate about something and not feel intrigued to pursue it for the rest of their lives. Only after coming across similar conversations a few months into my freshman year did I come to the conclusion that it's not that simple. Yes, there will be those childhood friends who said they wanted to be a Doctor and are in their 2nd year of Medical school, and yes a few of your high school peers will seem like they have it all figured out & are ready to take on the world once they step across that stage and receive that diploma, but in reality, do they really have it all 'figured out?'

Coming into college with a major in 'undecided' studies and meeting new students each and every day all with the same famous question, "So, what's your major?" soon shot my anxiety through the roof. I met with advisor after advisor from numerous colleges and still could not make up my mind. "Am I doing it all for nothing, spending hours upon hours in the library racking my brain with abstract algebra questions for what exactly?" I continuously asked myself. One thing I was certain about was making sure I wasn't just choosing a major just because it was convenient or effortless or what a lot of my friends seemed to be pursuing. After switching my major a number of three times, I continued to read articles, take personality tests, meet with people in intriguing professions and speak a lot with my peers on what their plans were.

And... nothing. Zip, nadda, zilch.

Well I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and say none of that helped because it certainly did. Though looking back now, I believe it was a stepping stone in the overall process. It wasn't until I truly sat down with myself one day and meditated on a few questions I bombarded my brain with: What am I good at, what frightens, yet excites me all at the same time, what keeps me up in bed at night, what wakes me up in the morning? Yes, utterly cliche. I know, though try it out and see where it takes you. Oh and studying abroad the summer following my freshman year helped just a tad too, might I add. Of course after I changed my major once again, finally ending with a double major and one minor, I questioned if a made the right decision, hell I still question it here and there as I'm entering my Junior year. But to be fairly honest, your major is NOT going to define the rest of your life. Well... let me take that back if you desire to become a biological technician or perhaps an engineer. If not, don't worry too much!

Though through my personal experience, I'll say I've learned the most about myself and where my passions lie through all five of the extracurricular organizations I'm currently a part of at the UofA. The second would have to be all the international travel I've done in the past three years; meeting people from all over the world, indulging myself in new perspectives and languages, and forcing myself to step outside of my comfort zone. Simply put, my best advice to all of you incoming freshman is this: Get out there, take some courses in subjects you're unfamiliar with, get as involved on campus as you possibly can, make friends with anyone and everyone you encounter along your journey, and lastly, never get discouraged and don't be afraid to explore!