Fall Break Can Make Or Break You For Finals

Half a semester done, where do you stand, and where do you want to be?

17

The beginning of this school year was not good for me.

I dropped a class. I don’t think I did a single assignment. My mental health deteriorated. I started a time consuming and exhausting job. However, I want to do well in school from now on. And I want to take fall break as a time to set myself up for success.

My first day of fall break is my first day off from work and going to class since school has started. And as much as I want to lay in bed and binge watch The Good Doctor, I screwed myself over in first block and don’t get that luxury.

I need to do well second block, and fall break will make or break that for me.

Instead of binge watching The Good Doctor like I want to, I’m going to be binge watching episodes of Hollow Crown and following along in my Shakespeare plays and taking notes on how the tone is perceived and words are spoken in the adaptation.

Because I’m an English literature major, I have so much reading to do in my classes and so many papers. I’m going to knock on books and stories I didn’t finish when they were due in the comfort of my bed; knowing I don’t have to rush because I have time this weekend to catch up.

I’m still going to take time and have fun. I’ll be going to the cafes I missed and exploring the city, but with the eye of a writer, and using new space to inspire me to write (More like start) papers I have due the next week.

My second block class starts, and I luckily get to have a fresh start with it unlike my other classes. I need to set up a study plan for my once-a-week class so I don’t push it to the side like I did with my online class.

Fall break is giving me a chance to relax and unwind, but also the time to reflect on my academic career and to get my shit together.

And this advice is applicable to others. Having the stress of school lifted off for just a couple days can help build a plan for when it starts back up. Look at your schedule and really set time aside to study and treat it like class time (but don’t skip it.)

Rearrange your notes now that midterms are over. Get a head start on readings without the pressure of a due date. Try and maintain a positive attitude for second block and finals; remember that things can be turned around—even as a senior.

If you enter second block with an over-looming gloom and despair and anxiety, it’ll follow you the entire way to finals.

Sleep-in, re-charge, and find a new attack plan you got this.