5 Words Of Wisdom For Incoming College Students

Leaving the nest can be a truly messy, stressful, and wonderful experience.

738

The COVID-19 Pandemic has been a horribly eye opening experience. The world learned quite a few lessons and we, as college students, have as well, from our virtual classes to our Zoom meet ups to our new everyday lifestyle. These five words of wisdom are lessons in themselves not only in their simplicity, but also in their versatility. Whether you are going to school from home or from the dorms, there can be much to gain from even a singular word.

1. Grow.

One of the main buzzwords you will probably hear for the rest of your life is "growth." Whether that be in a professional circumstance or a personal emotional one, growing your skills and your knowledge is always a good thing. College is full of growth. People are learning all around you, not only from classroom lectures, but also from the more lifestyle experiences. In college, you might have your first ever encounter with fixing a flat tire or even buying groceries. With college, you are newly unbound and unchecked. The world is your oyster, and you are the pearl! Don't forget that growing and changing are completely normal! Your friend group now may look a little different from your one in high school, from their majors to their music taste, and even your taste may change, too. Who knows? Maybe vegan ice cream might be right up your alley. Your growth will become something to be proud of, so make sure to laugh at the mistakes, learn the lessons, and love the process!

2. Venture.

No matter where college is for you, at home or in person, put yourself out there! There are so many opportunities at your advantage, even club meetings on zoom can provide new connections and friends. Showing up and putting yourself out there might seem like an easy task, but it requires a lot of courage and a little bit of just plain going for it! Go to events, meetings, hangouts, and anything that has free food. Don't forget to be socially distanced and to always smile, even with a mask a genuine smile and a positive attitude can be seen from a mile away. You have the power to make yourself stand out and be seen, just make sure you are seen as your 100% authentic self!

3. Explore.

Explore and discover your campus and its many treasures, virtually and in person. These are your new stomping grounds for the next few years, go find what it has to offer! Try new things and participate! Whether that be the funky looking curry place down the street or a class with a professor you have never even heard of in your life. Other than possibly food poisoning, trying new things has great side effects. It lets you know your community a little better, as well as yourself.

4. Prioritize.

When trying new things and exploring your little corner of the world, everything can start to feel a little bit overwhelming. While trying new things, don't forget to prioritize what's important, and one of those important things is you! You are important, your health, your mental state, and aspect of you is important. When prioritizing, don't forget that! Find your limits and push against them reasonably. When your first semester proves that 12 credits is a bit much, try pushing yourself just a little bit more to maybe 14 credits, not 18. Challenging yourself is a good habit, but finding your limits and completely ignoring them isn't. Prioritizing is an important skill for all aspects of life, from school credits to social obligations. Know what's important to you and stick with it!

5. Enjoy.

In a society that puts a lot of pressure on academics, college degrees can look like unavoidable boxes to check. While the main purpose of colleges and universities is to provide students opportunities to learn and earn a degree, they have so much more to offer than lectures, study schedules, and school related stress. If this pandemic should teach us anything, it's that the world is constantly changing and life is as well. When life is priceless, why not enjoy it? Enjoy the experience of college, there is nothing else quite like it. Find new friends, find yourself, learn to love someone, learn to love yourself. Face the 2 a.m. McD's runs with enthusiasm, use the Recreational Center for all its worth and above all don't ever trust the "tofu lumps" in the dining hall.