The Difference Between High School and College

240

College is a long anticipated adventure that is overflowing with new experiences. When I first got to college I truly had no idea what to expect, and I think that’s what made my experience so interesting. If you venture off away from home and attend a four-year university you’ll find that there are many key differences between high school and college.   

Key Difference #1 – Independence
When you’re in high school, you pretty much have limitations on what you can do, who you can do them with and at what time. Your parents put a roof over your head and sandwiches in your stomach, so you pretty much do what they say and listen to their parental guidance.

In college, you pretty much have ultimate independence. If you want to go get tacos at 3:30 in the morning, you can. If you want to go watch movies with friends really late on a Monday night, there’s nothing stopping you. Even something like grocery shopping or being responsible for cooking your own meals and doing laundry makes you realize that you’re very much on your own.  

Key Difference #2 – “Going out with friends” 
In high school, when you’re going out with friends you’re pretty much limited to weekends and your night probably starts around 7 p.m. You’ll probably go eat somewhere or maybe see a movie. If your parents are anything like mine, you’ll probably have a curfew. More than likely your parents will ask who you’re going with, where you’re going and what time to expect you home.       

In college, when you’re going out with friends you usually start your night around 10 p.m. at the earliest (unless going to dinner). Any time before 10 is used for getting ready to go somewhere. Whether you’re going to see a movie, going bar-hopping, or just hanging out with people, your night starts much later than you’re used to. 

Key Difference #3 – Sleep Schedule
In high school, you remain on a pretty standard sleep schedule. You probably wake up around 6:45 a.m. on school days and maybe stay up until 12 or 1 watching movies or playing on your phone. Some people like sleep and go to bed even earlier than that. You wake up at the same time every week day and your schedule for sleep only alters on weekends or for special events.

In college, your sleep schedule is dependent on if you finish your school work or not/ what you decide to do with your free time. The time you wake up depends on what time you scheduled your first class. When I first got to college I made staying up late and waking up early a regular thing and now I appreciate naps more than I ever have in my entire life. 

Key Difference #4 – Attending Class
In high school you’re required to go to class. If you don’t go to class you’ll be reported to the state for being truant and you’ll get in trouble with the state.    

In college, deciding if you want to go to class is completely up to you. The worst penalty you can get is points off of your grade. There’s no one forcing you to show up. Some classes have crazy attendance policies, but there’s others that basically have no one ever show up on Fridays.  

Key Difference #5 – School Work and Exams
In high school you’re taught small amounts of material and then tested on them at the end of the week or after two weeks. Teachers expect you to do your homework and it’s usually turned in and graded. The time you spend studying for tests is very small.

In college you’re taught very large amounts of material and you only have two or three exams per semester. Your grades on those two or three exams basically determine if you pass the class or not. A lot of homework is optional, but optional basically means do the homework or else you’ll fail the test. Studying for exams consumes your life and sometimes studying 36 hours for your chemistry exam still isn’t enough to pass it. You live at the library more than your own dorm. 

Key Difference #6 – Dress Code
In high school, a dress code mandates exactly what you wear to class. You’re sent home if your shorts are too short or if your clothes aren’t the right size for you. Violating dress code is a big deal.

In college, you wear whatever you want. If you want to wear Nike shorts and an oversized t-shirt to class you can. You want to wear pajamas to your 8 a.m.? Go right ahead. There’s no one telling you what you can and cannot wear. Comfort is usually the number one priority, and honestly I believe that I am in a better mental state to learn when I am comfortable in what I am wearing. 

Key Difference #7 – Knowing People in Classes
In high school you usually know just about everyone in your classes. When I went to high school, I was in the same classes with the same 60 people for all four years. You probably have phone numbers for at least 50 percent of your classmates in a particular class. Your teacher knows you by name and cares about your success in his/her class.     

In college, you’re lucky if you know more than one person in your class, especially in large university settings. The most vital thing to do during syllabus week is to try to befriend at least two people in your class. Unless it’s a smaller class, your professor more than likely won’t know who you are. All you are to them is another student ID number. The key to success is knowing your professors; that way when you email them about your 89 in oceanography they might be kind enough to bump you up to an A because they can put a name to a face.   

College is a huge transition that many struggle with. The good thing is knowing you aren’t alone in facing all of the changes that are bound to come.