25 People You See at the Gym

25 People You See at the Gym

The gym can be one of the most popular and diverse places on campus. People from different groups, clubs, grades, majors and interests come together at this hub for students!

98
25 People You See at the Gym

If you take a moment to look past the weightlifters' grunting noises and the nasty smell of sweat long enough to really look at the people, you will notice there is quite a variety seen at the gym.

These 25 types of people can be seen at every type of gym, whether it is at a college gym or "the real world." You may recognize all 25 of these gym regulars or maybe you are one yourself.

1. The Watch Guard- You can feel their eyes burning into the side of your head as you try to do your workout. And for whatever reason, they stare at you the entire time. No matter what you do, ignore them or switch machines. You will still see out of the corner of your eye "The Watcher" peering at you, but just take it as a compliment and move on.

2. The Newbie- This person just started coming to the gym. You can't help but laugh and feel bad as they struggle to figure out how the TV on the machine works. You gaze at them as they are racing on the elliptical, seeming as though they are conquering it. But the reality is they just couldn't figure out how to change the resistance from "one."

3. The Guilty Conscience- They are most likely to appear at the gym in the morning, usually after a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night. They're only there to work off their alcohol consumption from last night's party or the late night Taco Bell run they made. That damn Fourth Meal!

4.The Gazelle- The person who gallops across the treadmill, as if they are running away from a wild and hungry lion in the plains of Africa. They come across as extremely graceful, but when placed next to a person who is doing a light jog, The Gazel can look a bit goofy.

5. The Weigher- The person who stands on the scale and absolutely refuses to get off until they have lost at least five pounds. They go on the scale before changing into their gym clothes, once in their workout clothes, after they have gone to the bathroom, after they have worked out, after they have changed, and about ten more times in between.

6. The Grunter- This person feels the need to grunt and yell loud enough for the whole gym to hear them as they are lifting. It does not matter whether they are lifting up 250Lbs or 10lb dumbbells, if they are lifting, you WILL hear them.

7. The Walking Talking Lululemon Ad- They are literally wearing Lululemon everything. They strut around the gym wearing Lululemon yoga pants, shirt, sports bra, socks, headbands, and underwear (yes gentlemen, Lululemon even has that). You can spot the Athletica symbol from yards away because it's on every piece of clothing they own. Lululemon should be paying them!

8. The Waterfall- The person who is profusely sweating. As you look at them, you question whether or not they just got out of the pool or if it's actually humanly possible to sweat that much. You can always see where they've been because they leave behind a tiny ocean and a wet trail of smelly sweat.

9. The Human Pretzel- This person takes stretching to a whole new level. As you struggle to touch your toes, they are lifting up their leg and putting it behind their head all while doing a one handed handstand. They should be in Cirque Du Soleil, but in the meantime, they're busy contorting their body on the stretching mats.

10. The Real Slim Shady- The person who has their music blasting from their headphones as they proceed to rap a whole song. Usually they mess up a lot of the words or are tone deaf, but that doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest. Maybe this person thinks the gym is not as busy as it actually is, or maybe they consider the area their own personal stage. I hate to break it to you, but if you are NOT the Real Slim Shady, then please quiet down.

11. The Statue- This person may have come with the intention of working out, but all of that is lost once the tiny power button on the TV is pressed and the TV lights up. They are locked in a frozen position mid workout, mouth open and gazing at the TV. Every once in a while they will make a slight movement, probably to switch channels, but for the most part, they are at a stand still.

12. Too Ripped For a Real Shirt-  If your shirt is so shredded apart that you aren't sure it qualifies as a shirt anymore, there really is no point in wearing one. The arm holes of the shirt is ripped so far down that you can see their whole upper body, including their nice six pack. The shirt definitely did not come this way. They either took scissors to it or stole it off of a homeless guy. Instead of using "subtly" to show us your toned stomach, just go ahead and take off your shirt already, bro.

13. Your Gym Twin- The person whose gym schedule matches yours EXACTLY. You have never talked to them, and you never will. Instead, you're just two strangers who run next to each other at the same time, every day. Their presence becomes so regular that on days when they aren't there, you can't help but wonder where they are.

14. The Competitor- Every person has a competitive side, but this person just takes it to a whole new extreme. If you are on the treadmill next to them, they will amp up their speed and run faster than you. If you are doing a leg press, they will add extra weight to their machine. If you are doing abs, they will always outlast you in a plank. But if you ever join an intramural team, they should be your first pick.

15. The Stairmaster Rookie- This person has dared to do the stairmaster for the first time. They probably figured, "how hard can it actually be?" However, after five minutes on this torture device, the Rookie is pouring with sweat, has turned pale and is about to pass out. They will skip class the next day because they don't think they can manage to walk far without their legs falling off. That is the first and last time they will get on the Stairmaster.

16. The Interrupter- This person feels the need to talk to you just as you're in the middle of a workout and sweating. They will start off by making eye contact, waving at you, and coming over to tell you a 30 minute story about their crazy night. All you want to do is grab them and yell, "LEAVE ME ALONE." But even if you yelled, you know they would just giggle and keep on telling their story.

17. The Person Who DGAF- This person is sitting on a stretching mat looking at their phone as there's a growing line of people waiting to get a mat. As other people are rushing through their stretches or even sharing mats, this person is lying on their back going through how many Instagram likes they got. 

18.The Beauty Pageant Queen- This girl walks into the gym with her extensions in, a teased pouf, fake eyelashes, a full face of makeup and a pushup bra. Maybe she doesn't understand that she is expected to sweat? Despite how much her efforts to look good at the gym angers you, you can't help but stare because she does look pretty damn great.

19. The Gym Couple- A couple who works out together stays together...right? One lifts as the other one spots. Some people go to the movies for a date, but this couple prefers to sweat and get ripped.  While some may find a gym couple motivational, the gym is definitely no place for PDA.

20. Hulk- This person is the real life version of the big, strong, green, superhuman. You watch in amazement as they lift unreal amounts of weight and slam it down onto the ground. In their spare time, they probably lift cars and pull anchors up from the sea. 

21. The Drill Sargent- This person can be a trainer or just a gym partner helping their friend. You can see them next to their trainee, yelling, giving instructions, telling them to "work harder!" or "run faster!" As much as they yell and scream, you will never see them doing the workout with their partner. Instead, they just stand next to them and shout about what they are doing wrong.

22. The Gym Rat- This person always seems to be at the gym, no matter what time or day of the week you are there. They are the first ones there in the morning, even before the staff, and the last one to leave at night. They will be there every holiday, including Christmas and even Dead Day Eve. They would live at the gym if they could.

23. Spongerock- The person who focuses on upper body workouts. They have the upper body of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Their arms are like tree stumps and have rock solid pecs. Unfortunately though, they skipped one too many leg days and are stuck with toothpick legs, similar to SpongeBob SquarePants. At least they have the abs of Thor.

24. The Protein Buff- This person carries around whey protein everywhere they go. They have at least six protein shakes a day, with a side of protein bars and plain protein powder. If they could have protein pumped into their blood they would.

25. The "What the?!"- Every gym has this person every once in a while. This person is on the elliptical wearing jeans, a button up shirt and dress shoes. However their uncommon wardrobe doesn't seem to phase them. They aren't an everyday occurrence, but when they are at the gym, people always make sure to take a quick SnapChat of them. Maybe they forgot their gym clothes or maybe they desperately wanted to workout- the world may never know.