Zbogom, Dusan

Zbogom, Dusan

My goal isn't actually to make you cry; it's to let you know that we'll miss you.

20
Zbogom, Dusan
Elaine Leverington

I've never been very good at goodbyes. I think that no one is meant to be "good" at goodbyes. The problem for me with goodbyes is that I'm never really sure when the real goodbye is. How am I supposed to ever know if I'll see the person again? Is it goodbye for now, or is it goodbye forever? Then the other problem is that I always have too much to say. So it's only natural that this particular goodbye should be difficult. Today, the goodbye goes from the workers of Café Dué to Dusan, one of our favorite smiling faces.

The thing about Dusan is that it doesn't matter if you know him for ten years or ten minutes. Either way, he has this way of making everyone immediately like him. When he asks how someone's doing, he actually wants to know. He looks at us as friends rather than coworkers. And he does his best to not let it show when he's having a bad day. Naturally, any workplace can use that kind of positivity.

Ashley will start us off with the goodbyes. "Hey, Dusan. I just wanted to say that you are such a kind-hearted, funny guy! I remember when you were struggling to come up with a quote of the day, and you came up with "sexy party" from Family Guy. I will always remember that. Have fun on your next adventure. Dusan, you will be missed more than you know! Thanks for always making Café Dué fun and comfortable."

Although even Jason admitted that he felt like he was writing an obituary, he decided to contribute as well. "Dusan has, in the brief time [that] I've known him, always been a dude that stands up for himself and lives up to his morals. He was immediately kind and helpful in any way that I needed him to be. He will be missed." As far as obituaries go, I'd say it was a pretty good one.

Annie, with love, is next, "Stay a cool human. Keep complimenting (my) shoes. Have fun being you."

Cayden wrote, "You have been nothing but welcoming and kind to me as we have worked together. Thank you for being you! I'm so glad we have become friends throughout this experience. I have no doubt you will succeed in anything you do."

Okay, Dusan, I know you hate when people capitalize that pesky "s" in your name, but I feel obligated to present you with the uncensored version of Rachel's handwritten sentiment: "DuSan, I wish you were the big, black man I imagined you would be when I first heard your name...but I guess you are pretty cool. :)"

Then, from Morgan, "I remember when you came in for your first shift, and you were immediately treating everyone like they were your best friend. Your kindness, your compassion, your weirdness, and your genuine affection for every person you meet makes you irreplaceable. Café will be a noticeably less vibrant environment without you, but we won't miss you; you are still required to fulfill friendship duties, which include, but are not limited to, Luke Cage marathon viewings and meeting for drinks after a long shift. I wish you all the best, you beautiful Serbian prince."

And, from Kat, "I say, 'Why must you leave us?!' 'Cause you keep all of us sane and happy! You're a great man, and you deserve the world! Please come back to see us! Love, your second wife, Kat."

Lastly, signed with a “Love, Brangie,” “We loved getting to know you for the past month. Your kindness and big heart have touched our lives and hearts. We wish you a brilliant future full of excitement and happiness, and, hopefully, us.”

At this point, it is important to note that there are others who want to convey their gratitude for everything you have done during your time at Café Dué. Just know that even if they aren't listed here, it only means that they couldn't find the time or words to say goodbye. It's my job to do that for them. There's not a single person I can think of at that restaurant who won't miss you.

And since all of the goodbyes have now been said, I guess it's time for mine. Dusan, you have been such a positive fixture at work. Although I haven't seen you much over the past month or so, it's always reassuring to look at the schedule and see your name and know that you're still there. Over the last several months, I have watched pretty much every single one of my coworkers fall in love with your smile (no joke), and I've also seen you earn everyone's respect one way or another. You have such a kind, gentle disposition, and it's impossible to be mad at you, even when you say that I can't be cut yet. (Ha.) I know that no amount of begging can change your mind, and I know you don't want to leave us behind. So I (we) only ask that you don't forget about us. Also, please come in to see us. (Revision: Please come in about 20 times so we can all serve you. And then come in another 20 times so we can all serve you again). We all miss you so much already, but we can't wait to see what your future holds for you. I'm (we're) happy that you're doing what's best for you.

With all the love and best wishes that it's possible to put in one measly article,

Us

P.S. In a completely unromantic way (I guess I speak only for myself.), we really freaking love you.