YouTube Creators Aren't Afraid To Call Out Their Own Boss

How h3h3productions views the site's recent changes.

19
We The Unicorns

Since its beginning in 2005, YouTube has grown dramatically each year. The video platform has transformed into a community and sub-communities with everything from beauty, fitness, gaming and more.

Ethan and Hila Klein, of h3h3productions, launched their YouTube channel in April 2011 and have grown dramatically in popularity over the years. They currently claim over 2.8 million subscribers and have brought in as much as 385 million total views.

Their content consists primarily of commentary on popular Internet trends and videos on YouTube.

Needless to say, the channel is a widely enjoyed staple on YouTube; however, the couple isn’t thrilled about some recent changes to the site, and they aren’t staying silent about it.

On November 16, h3h3productions posted a video expressing concern over the tweaks. In the video titled “YouTube’s New Program is Horrible” Ethan stated, “Every time YouTube comes out with such a stupid idea I feel like we’re obligated to just say, ‘Hey YouTube. I love ya, buddy.’”

The video was addressing YouTube’s new program, YouTube Heroes. The intended purpose of the program is to eliminate offensive content by encouraging viewers to flag offensive or inappropriate videos; however, Ethan and Hila saw many flaws to the approach.

Ethan compared the program to “something out of ‘A Brave New World,’ it’s like something out of communist Russia.”

The program rewards users as they flag more and more videos. It even gives the user power to eliminate a channel from YouTube.

Ethan expressed his opinion on the subject by sarcastically stating, “This is definitely what YouTube needs to bring the community together and not completely ruin it.”

H3h3productions later uploaded a video expressing much more personal concerns that had been directly affecting their channel. A video titled, “YouTube Might Make Your Favorite Channel Disappear,” with over two million views, walks viewers through the alarming decrease in their new video views and the creator’s seemingly disappearance from the homepage.

In one part of the video, Ethan concludes that their new videos are being removed from the list of recommended videos that appear on the side of the screen. “YouTube is definitely not showing the videos. The proof is here.”

Previously, his screenshots show, Ethan and Hila received about 27% of their views from viewers who clicked on their video from the recommended list. After the change, their viewer traffic from the recommendation bar dramatically dropped to only 2.3 percent.

“The scary thing about this is that it kind of reminds me about what happened to animators. One day YouTube just tweaked the algorithm to favor longer videos and more frequent posts. Now there’s no more animation channels left on YouTube because they stopped getting shown, they reduced their pay, and they pretty much disappeared from people’s lives.”

Ethan concluded the video on a hopeful note, giving credit to those from YouTube who had helped him with his concerns.

“The people I have spoken to from Google and YouTube have been very gracious, very helpful, they’re trying to figure it out.”