You're Underestimating The Power Of Walking, Especially During The Coronavirus Pandemic

Burns calories? Check. Improves mental health? Double check.

5

You've probably seen elderly people walking. Like, all the time. Do they know something we don't? Yes. When gyms are closed and we're cooped up in our homes, the benefits of walking are never more present than during coronavirus.

1) Walking daily increases your step count, which burns calories.

Let's say your average step count right now is 4,000 steps a day, which allows you to maintain your current body weight. If you go on one 40 minute walk, or two 20 minute walks, you increase your step count by approximately ~6000. This enables you to burn anywhere from 200-400 more calories per day, based on your body type.

This is an incredible benefit, especially for those who are used to doing regular cardio in a gym like myself. I've taken to daily walks for this benefit alone.

2) You get more Vitamin D. 

If you're outside, you're getting more sunlight, which carries the essential Vitamin D! Getting more can increase your mood and help you feel more pleasant even in quarantine.

3) Other people are also walking -- human contact!

In the time of coronavirus, we can't get within 6 feet of anyone, and are forced to limit our human contact. However, walking enables you to see more people and feel like a normal human again.