Why You're Not Crazy: He's Just Avoiding Being Called Out

Girls, you're not crazy; he's just not worth your time.

4584

The dictionary definition of the word crazy is “mentally deranged, especially as manifested in a wild or aggressive way.” A few synonyms are mad, deranged, unhinged and lunatic. Now think back to the last time a guy called you or one of your friends crazy. Were you acting mentally deranged when you got mad at him for making out with another girl less than ten feet away from you? Were you acting wild or aggressive when your feelings were hurt when he didn’t call when he said he would? And were you being a lunatic for wanting to know where things are going after months of hooking up someone? Chances are, you probably weren’t. Yet it appears that anytime something goes wrong in a relationship, men have gotten into the habit of blaming it on a girl being crazy.

Calling a girl crazy is the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card. Nobody wants to be called crazy, so girls refrain from expressing their emotions to in order to avoid this label. I mean, think about it: how many times have you thought of telling a guy how you really feel, but didn't go through with it out of fear of looking crazy? How many times have you had a complete and total meltdown in front of your friends over something a guy did and then forced a smile on your face the next time you saw him? The fear of being labeled crazy has created a culture where boys can do whatever they want and girls, for the most part, will simply just put up with it.

It isn’t crazy to have an emotional response to a situation — that is human nature. Calling a girl crazy has nothing to do with the alleged lunatic and everything to do with her accuser. Calling a girl crazy is guy talk for “I did something shady, but I don’t want to talk about it." It isn’t crazy to want to vocalize the way you are feeling about something. And it definitely isn’t crazy to call a guy out on his poor decisions. If I am mad at you, I am going to tell you. If you are annoying me, I am probably going to snap. If you think that qualifies me as a mentally deranged person, well then, good luck to you, my friend — you have a long road ahead of you.

Don’t get me wrong: girls are at fault here too. For starters, there is that small percentage of the female population who are actually off their rockers. If you are reading this and are one of those girls, chill out; you are giving all of us a bad rap. But then there is the other, larger percentage of the female population that perpetuates this cycle by allowing guys to call them crazy and get away with it. Everyone knows that when a dude calls a girl crazy he is most likely just being a jerk. So why do we care so much about being labeled crazy? It doesn’t actually hold any weight. If girls stopped caring about being called crazy, then boys would stop calling us so — and the world would be a much better and seemingly saner place.