So You're a College Graduate: Now What?

So You're a College Graduate: Now What?

Post-grad options for when your ready to be an adult (or not).

27
So You're a College Graduate: Now What?
The NY Post

Post-graduation can be a hectic time. There will be a lot of uncertainty about the future, but here some options you might want to try out if you need a little help to get going.

1. Getting a job.

The Pros: If you are lucky enough to get a job right after graduation, pat yourself on the back and revel in the fact that you don’t have to stress like many other will have to for an undetermined amount of time. One of the best things about getting a job after graduation is having a steady source of income coming your way. Having a job will also provide you with some consistency in life.

The Cons: For some people the idea of this consistency can be downright boring and unexciting. If you get a job out of college you can’t travel the world because, well, you have to use up vacation days for that. If you’re an adventurer maybe getting a job right off the bat isn't for you.

2. Grad School.

The pros: Enrolling in grad school can be a great choice post-grad. Going to grad school allows you to further your education, which can potentially enhance your career. Grad school also gives you the option for a complete career change. Think you might want to go into something a little different than you originally intended? Grad school can help you do that.

The cons: Grad school is more competitive to get into than college is. At times it can be stressful because the work you are doing is much more advanced that what one might be used to. The added cost of grad school might also be a turn-off for some. If you enroll in grad school one might get into the “professional student” mentality and further prolong your job search.

3. The Peace Corps.

The pros: The Peace Corps is a unique program that allows you live abroad and have a lot of new experience. You will be able to meet new people and broaden your horizons while you serve others. While you’re abroad you can network internationally which is an amazing booster for any career. In your time of service, you will develop a deep appreciation for other cultures and it will be an experience you will never forget.

The cons: The Peace Corps can be very emotionally taxing. Moving to a new country and not being surrounded by anyone you love can be very difficult. At times, you might be homesick and lonely. Because you don’t get to pick which country you serve in, the experience might not be the one that you pictured. The Peace Corps is a very big commitment and may not be for everyone.

4. Internship.

The pros: Some people might think “yikes” when they think of getting a post-college internship, but it isn’t as uncommon as one might think. Getting an internship after graduation will allow you to get more experience under your belt. Many internships might allow you to get a job at the company after completing your time there. If you feel like there’s a gap in your resume, this might be a great option for you.

The cons: Not all internships are paid, and working for no compensation post-grad might prove to be a little difficult. Post graduation, you need to make sure the internship you take allows you to network to a position you want. Internships also take time. Three or more months of your time will be taken up and it will not necessarily guarantee a job.

5. Travel.

The pros: If you aren’t ready to be tied down by a job or anything else, traveling post graduation might be for you. If you travel, the world is your oyster. You can do basically anything of your choosing anywhere in the world.

The cons: Traveling isn’t exactly easy on the wallet. While there are a lot of ways to save money while traveling, you don’t necessarily have a steady source of income while going abroad. Traveling also takes a lot of planning you and need to be prepared to put in the time to do this.