You Might Be Richer, But I'm Smarter
Lifestyles

You Might Be Richer, But I'm Smarter

Just because you're richer than me, doesn't mean you deserve to take my spot at an education.

51
You Might Be Richer, But I'm Smarter

Recent buzz has been about the college admissions scandal, in which rich and some famous parents have paid tens of thousands of dollars to get their children into top college. The scandal hit close to home for some of my friends who had parents of their friends arrested.

It was wild to watch it play out, but also wildly infuriating.

Reading articles and listening to news stories made me feel somewhat angry. These socially elite teenagers were only getting into college because of the money that their parents had and not the merit that they built. They took away coveted spots from those who may have been working their whole lives.

Personally, I had to work hard to get into college and even harder to stay in. My mother is a single parent who is supporting my younger brother and I both through school. We don't have funds to throw around so that I can be guaranteed a spot to my top choice. Indiana University was my top choice from the start of my college search. I worked really hard to have well enough grades and a good application to get myself in. With very little help, I made it.

The SATs and ACTs are hard. Having a tutor or course to help you is understandable, most people do that. However, taking money to forge a score that someone else worked sometimes years to get is disgusting.

If I was the Dean of the colleges affected by this scandal, I would remove all of those students from the school.

It needs to be taught that just because you're rich doesn't mean you deserve to be there. You should be there because you work hard and want to continue to.

Among those at fault, Youtuber and someone whom I now used to be a fan of, was Olivia Jade. If you don't know her, then you definitely know her mother Lori Loughlin, also known as Aunt Becky from the TV show "Full House." Her father is a fashion designer who runs the famous brand Mossimo.

Her parents paid her way into USC by having scores changes, and admission guaranteed. She had publicly made statements alluding to the fact that she was only at college for parties and to have fun. Yes, you are supposed to have fun in college, but you are also supposed to get a great education. She is taking a spot away from a student who actually deserves to be there and actually wants to learn, not just party.

My hope is that those involved get the punishments they deserve and that the top one percent take note on these wrongdoings. To the top one percent I say: just because you're richer than me, doesn't mean you deserve to take my spot at an education.