Different sides, but no right to judge
Politics

Just Because It's Your Choice Doesn't Mean It Has To Be Mine

A side you probably won't hear.

383
123rf

On January 22, 2019, New York became the first state to legalize abortion up to birth.

I'm not a parent and I have never been pregnant, so I don't know all there is to know about what goes into raising a child. I also do not have a degree showing that I know all there is to know about prenatal development. And one more thing, I am a Christian.

I don't support abortions. Whether they're at 2 days or the day before the baby is supposed to be born. I think there are other options and while I realize all of the circumstances that go into why someone would choose abortion over putting the child up for adoption, I still can't bring myself to support them.

Yes, the foster system is overcrowded. Yes, rape is a very real thing. Yes, some pregnancies are very dangerous.

But, your choice does not have to be mine.

While it isn't ideal, a baby can survive outside of the womb at 22 weeks. This means that no matter your view on when life begins that if you have an abortion past those 22 weeks you are choosing to kill a child.

Don't see this as judgment. I have taken my fair share of developmental classes and I have seen a few women go through pregnancy and while that doesn't make me a professional in knowing all that goes into pregnancy, I do know a lot of the complications and strains pregnancy can put on the body.

Pregnancy is scary and even though that is something I look forward to in the distant future - very distant future - it is still something that scares me. I worry that my body won't be able to take it. I worry about if I will have Postpartum depression. I worry if I will even be an okay mom. But even with all of this worry, I can't say that abortion is the route I would choose.

I know that no matter the circumstance if there is even the smallest chance that I can give someone else life that is the route I will always choose.

I will never support abortion, but I will always support life. If you support abortion - no matter what week - I won't judge you because I don't have that right.

My choice is not your choice in the same way that your choice is not my choice.

I have my right to vote for what I believe is right, but that doesn't mean you don't have that same right. That also doesn't mean that either of us has the right to judge the other from whichever side we stand on.

Now, for those of you who don't stand on one side or the other, I encourage you to do research. See and hear both perspectives, don't just pick based off of one person or another person. Figure it out on your own and be proud of the side you choose, but also know that being proud of your decision does not mean you need to be rude about your decision.