Your Brokenness Is Welcome In The Church

Psalm 34:18

The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit.

341

Remember that song from Sunday school "This little light of mine." Young, bright faces so full of hope and joy waving their fingers in the air yelling "I'm gonna let it shine." Fast-forward fifteen years and those hearts are scarred and broken. We aren't yelling about shining light anymore because it's been dimmed by our fallen world. But I think those lyrics still apply today, maybe even better. More genuine, with a story, a testimony of His unconditional love. His light shines beautifully through our scars and cracks.

I didn't really hear about the "Your Brokenness is welcome here" movement until I was a sophomore in college but I instantly fell in love. This is my favorite thing about God. He sees the brokenness but looks past it. He welcomes it with open arms. He uses our brokenness to reach others and further his kingdom. But how we ask...... How can He still choose us even when we're in pieces?

Lauren Daigle - How Can It Be (Live) www.youtube.com

It's so different from reality. When you see a broken item on a store shelf it's pushed to the back or on the clearance rack. Nobody wants broken things. We're taught to think that broken things are useless, unwanted, trash to be thrown out. So when we notice our own brokenness we often think the same things.

"Nobody wants me."
"I'm too broken. I'm useless."
"I'm not worth anything."
"People only see my brokenness."

Honey if these are the thoughts you have please break your chains. These lies we are told by the world are the farthest thing from the truth. If only we could see ourselves through God's eyes.

"You are loved."
"You are chosen."
"You are fearfully and wonderfully made."

Lauren Daigle - You Say (Official Music Video) youtu.be

You're never too far gone for God. Never too broken, too abused. Never "too much" for Him. We are his children. You were shaped and molded exactly how he wanted you to be. He is the potter and we are the clay. (Isaiah 64:8) (Jeremiah 18)

8 Yet you, Lord, are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.

One of my favorite lines from "Pieces" is "It isn't shy, It's unashamed, your love is proud to be seen with me." God sees our brokenness but loves anyway. That grace and unconditional love are unmatched and all-consuming.

The bible is full of stories of "broken" people. People that we would think why them, they're far from qualified?.....The woman at the well, Jonah, Abraham, Joseph, Peter. And look at what was done through them. God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called.

One of the best things I was ever told was "His light shines best through the cracks of brokenness." Everyone has been broken down in some way. His light shines through when we let others see our brokenness. Being vulnerable allows others to understand and possibly feel God's power. Others can see where we have been healed and his light pouring out.

The Lord can use your brokenness for a greater purpose. I think God wants us to acknowledge our brokenness first. You don't have to have it all together all the time. We live in a very broken and fallen world. God is our refuge. Our father. Our safe place. Our lifeline.

He wants us to confide in him, but also create a community of support for others here on Earth. As Christians, we are called to welcome others brokenness. Love and help others through their pain. Don't shun them away, but remind them of the grace and perfect love we receive through Christ. We are chosen despite our imperfections. We are loved through the brokenness and beyond.

So take your mask off. Embrace your brokenness. Let His love heal you. Let His light shine through the cracks.