You won't believe what I've come across on the web

It is horrifying

31
Photo by Sergey Zolkin on Unsplash

It scares me to this day. I don't know why I clicked on it. It was so inviting and left me wondering what was at the other door. The saying is, "Curiosity killed the cat." well, it killed my cat inside my head. His name is HOPE. Why do people do this kind of thing? All I want is some peace and quiet, and they come here to ruin my day. Disgusting. Some people are young and innocent who shouldn't be exposed to this kind of thing. They use these tactics all the time, and it's getting annoying. They stole something important from me that I can't get back.

But what is that? And what am I talking about?

Well, for starters, they stole your time and what I'm talking about is clickbait. Hi, my name is Calvin Grispi, and you have fallen right into my trap. I'm one of those people who just made a clickbait article. How do you feel? Did I change your emotions from high to low? Did I make you miserable? Well, if that's the case, I did my job. If that didn't occur, I'm proud of you for being strong. WAIT!!!! STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! I know that I tricked you but read the rest of the article in which I'm going to talk about clickbait. I promise it's going to be worth it.

What is clickbait? According to the oxford dictionary, content's primary purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page. You see it all the time. For example, you have videos with too much bright color on YouTube, too much emotion in faces, and gross exaggeration. For instance, on Facebook, you have magicians such as Rick lax and his friends(I'm not going to link their channel because I don't think it's worth watching them, google them at your own risk) who say things like "4 out of five people can't do this" or "You won't believe this...." They make thumbnails and titles so great and exaggerated that they don't keep the promise they made in the beginning .

Why do people do this? It's all about grabbing people's attention. In this day and age, information is everywhere, that it's impossible to read and watch everything. Back then, you'd have just one newspaper for the whole town; now you have a mountain of people who want to share something with the world. It's not just everyday people, it's also a famous news outlet, in which they try to exaggerate a news discussion to grab people's attention; they can even lie and create "fake news."

So what can you do to stop looking at clickbait and at all of this info that gives me a headache? First, you need to calm down. Close your eyes. (not right now, you need to finish reading) and take deep breaths, then open them up. When looking at articles, think" it's worth my time? How would reading this be beneficial to me? Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?"

We have a limited amount of time left in this glorious world that we cant take for granted, and can't just YOLO every article we see

In conclusion,

be smart.

btw. I wasn't lying, at the beginning of the article, when I said I noticed something. It's not clickbait, so it's worth watching. It talks about legislators in Oregon fighting for what's right. :)