You’re Not Cool Until You Become An Aunt
Family Friends

5 Reasons You Think You're Cool Until You Become An Aunt

Your life suddenly changes for the better because of a little human.

475
Photo by Katie Emslie on Unsplash

My sister is expecting her first baby next year, which will make me an aunt. It's led me to think about how cool it is going to be to be an aunt! I will basically have a child without really having a child. The thought alone is getting me more and more exciting. I have thought about it so much, I came up with so many ways why being an aunt is cooler.

1. You get to say "YES" when mommy says "NO."

That's right! I will be saying "yes" to everything that my sister says "no" to because who doesn't want to be a superhero to their niece or nephew. I won't just be my niece's superhero, I will be her best friend. I want to give her ice cream before dinner, because she isn't allowed to when she is with mommy. I want to break the rules just a bit, but not too much.

2. You get to be a kid right along with them.

When you're an aunt, you get to be a kid all over again. While mommy is busy being mommy and taking care of household chores, you get to play with your niece or nephew. For those times that you are together, you will pretend to be any character they want you to be. Why? Well it's because what they want and who doesn't want to be a kid all over again when they are an adult? No one.

3. You get to know all the secrets.

It's awkward telling your parents all of your secrets, or even asking for advise on certain things. Well, that's where an aunt comes in. It's so much easier for nieces and nephews to go to their aunts for advise or to vent to when their little worlds are falling apart. You are able to know what's going on in their lives and still guide them in the right path while being the cool one about it.

4. You get to spoil them rotten.

The moment I found out my sister was having a baby, I started buying things. The moment I found out she was having a girl I had spent at least $800 on things she probably doesn't really need but are the cutest. I use to shop all the time for myself, now every time a co-worker walks by, it's baby site I am looking at. My bank account really doesn't like me much, so I guess you can say I found a new addiction.

And best of all.....

5. You get to give them back.

When you are all tired and exhausted you can give them back with no shame whatsoever. Well, because you are the cool aunt and not the parents.

At the end of each day, you get to get in bed with peace and quiet surrounding you.