11 Signs You're A New Yorker In Minnesota

What is this thing called "nice?"

192
Patrick Tomasso

I have only been in college at the University of Minnesota for about two weeks now, but I can already see some pretty large differences between Minnesota and my home state of New York.

It’s an ongoing conversation with about every single person I have met as to why someone from New York would come to Minnesota, but I enjoy being “that person” all the way from the east coast. It gives me room to brag about New York.

Here are some thoughts that I’ve had that I’m sure that any New Yorker in Minnesota can relate to:

1. You're amazed at how friendly people are.

It’s pretty wild how friendly people are so naturally. They don’t even have to try to be nice. Definitely, something you’re not used to.

2. You find it crazy that if you bump into someone on purpose because they are in the way, they apologize.

As if they bumped into you! They don’t even give you a dirty look or mumble some kind of profanity at you!

3. You're always in search of a truly authentic bagel.

Einstein Bagel’s just isn’t the same as a small, homemade bagel shop in New York.

4. You wear way more black than anyone else.

In fact, not many people here wear any black at all, whereas you’re ready to go all black on any given day.

5. You're thrown off by the fact that every single person that passes you smiles at you.

In New York, for the most part, people walk with their heads down. But now, you have to throw back some kind of weird, forced smile because you’re just not used to it.

6. You don't understand why people drive so slow.

And by slow, you mean the speed limit. Don’t these people have places to go??

7. You have to slow down when you type "Minnesota."

Because you’re just so used to typing New York and haven’t mastered the quick spelling of this word.

8. You're shocked when people talk about how big Minneapolis is.

It’s big, I’ll give you that, but have you ever seen New York City? Or even just Manhattan? Your perception of “big” would definitely change.

9. You're tired of hearing about how cold Minnesota is.

Trust me, I know I’m in for a brutal awakening when the frigid Minnesota winter comes around, but back home, we did have a winter. It’s surely not as cold, but I have seen snow before.

10. You're also tired of every single person questioning why you would ever leave New York because being from New York is "so cool."

I assume most people believe I am from the city, which then makes me understand the reasoning behind their question, but I am definitely not from the city, and getting out of my small town would be no different than getting out of any other small town in Minnesota.

11. You appreciate the differences, but know that New York will always be a part of you.

Besides being the “New York girl,” I do feel a strong connection to back home as I am surrounded by so much Minnesota.