10 Ways To Effectively Spend A Summer Without An Internship

So you don't have a summer internship.

392
artika.info

So, you don’t have an internship for the summer, now what?

As a college student, summer is prime time for internships and job opportunities because there is no scheduling conflict concerning class. Internships. It isn’t until the middle to end of spring semester that you realize how important it is for you to have an internship or career plans for the summer.

You may be finding yourself a bit down because the application period for most summer internships has closed and you’ve been left empty handed. After the private pity party and state of denial wears off, you’re left wondering what to do with your summer to not look like a total mess and make something of yourself.

There are a few things you can do throughout your summer to keep it productive for your career and school life.

1. Learn/Familiarize yourself with the latest news in your field

When interviewing with any company, they will more than likely ask you about current events in your career or breaking news. A bonus is familiarizing yourself with the ever-changing business realm.

2. Talk to people who work in your department of interest

Ask those you know in your field for career advice. Take the time to make some notes and possible changes to your career plan to get where you want to go.

3. Update your resume and cover letters for companies that will be open for fall internships

There’s no need to feel down about internship applications closing for the summer because right around the corner positions for fall will open. Now is the perfect time for you to get your resume and cover letter samples in order. Fix them up and make different options so you can send them out to review and see which options receive the best feedback.

4. Create and update a personal website

Face it, we’re in a technological age, and the best and quickest way to present yourself to future employers and other companies is to create a personal website. Everyone should develop some web page that personally reflects them, their goals, and their achievements.

5. Create a YouTube channel

What better way for you to express yourself and get your voice out there than recording it and publishing it online. The best way to show yourself is to show yourself to the world in a way that is completely filtered and edited by you.

6. Pick up a new skill

If you're going to be writing your resume, you might as well find some new things to place on it. Take the free time during the summer to learn a new skill that you may have put off during the semester. If you're in communications, that could mean learning a new language or program.

7. Work on problem areas (if you noticed it in the school year, fix it)

Along the same lines of learning a new skill, you can also perfect a skill you haven't mastered. That could mean a plethora of things such as working on the sentence structure or grammar for your writing as well as using Photoshop to design if you haven’t beforehand.

8. Update your business wardrobe

There’s nothing worse than having a professional event come up on campus and being at a loss of items to wear. While UF does an excellent job of trying not have its students break the bank with the professional clothes closet, it is always good to have something on hand when you need it in a pinch. Summer is a perfect time to get business clothes because they tend to be marked lower due to the season.

9. Follow the lives of admirable people in your field

It helps to get insight from people who are where you want to be in life. Use social media to your advantage and connect with individuals who work in positions you admire. Get your name out there, and these connections could help you land an internship in the future.

10. Figure out and build your brand

You are the CEO of your life and in charge of selling yourself. Time away from school is the perfect period to consider who you are as a person and who you want to present to others.