There Is A Balance Needed That Will Benefit Me

You Can Do Anything! But You Can't Do Everything

It is always good to be involved, but don't forget about your priorities.

40

To everyone who loves to be dedicated, I understand. I understand that you want to make a difference in this world and that you want to say "I was a part of that." You want to be involved. However, have you ever thought that maybe you can't do it all? Maybe you have troubles with maintaining yourself, physically, spiritually, and emotionally. Maybe time management isn't your best friend. I'm here to tell you, it's okay to say no to an opportunity.

It is said that opportunities give you the door to success, yet tackling things all at once, will give you the door to unhappiness. Why? You will never have time to yourself unless you are sleeping. You won't have time to treat yourself to relaxation or pleasure. If you have to put your mentality on the line for an opportunity that could come regardless of the time period, then it's not right to do so.

Let's be honest. There are some people whose least favorite word to say is "no." We think that we can tackle everything because we are powerful or we are capable to manage ourselves, due to the stereotypes given. For instance, I look at Michelle Obama as one of the most innovative and inspirational women of all time. She worked hard to get to where she is today. Yet, I ask myself, how did she do this? How did she run the country with her amazing husband as the president and still maintained her inner and outer beauty?

She did this by knowing her priorities. She did this knowing that she is meant for more. Learning from her, I know that there will be opportunities for you, yet you can't take them all at once. Hard decisions need to be made, yet do it for the benefit of your future.

I remember I did a competition in 2018 called President for a Day, and my campus president Dr. Plinske taught me this quote. "You can do anything, but you can't do everything." I carried that with me, but when I see an opportunity, I can't help but say yes. The word "yes," can be my enemy. With the balance of work, church, and my internships, I have to use that quote to make the sacrifices I need that will benefit my future. I learned that happiness happens when you let go.

If you are that person who says yes to everything, think about it. "How will this benefit my future?" "Will I be happy with this for the rest of my life?" As we learn to balance in life, we have to think about our social, mental, physical and spiritual state. All of this plays a part in our happiness. It's easy to look at an opportunity as something that could make money, or something that could get you forward. However, do something that you can enjoy.

Someone once told me, "Opportunities don't stop unless you do." When you work hard and do the right thing, there will always be an opportunity. For now, balance is the key to my happiness.