Valentines Day

This Valentine's Day is About You!

If you are single, here's why Valentine's Day is better that way

18
This Valentine's Day is About You!

There are days where we feel entirely alone and single, but Valentines Day should not be that day. Yes, it is about love and connection with that loved one, but why should it be? Why must we subject ourselves to the one day that defines the people who are single and the people who are dating? There a million other ways to spend your Valentines Day that doesn't include a date. You can enjoy times with girls, do the homework assignment that you've been putting off, do a group project that you keep ignoring, or buy yourself some food and enjoy some quality you time. Why is Valentine's Day so hyped up when it should be all about the love for yourself.

Self-love is one of the most important things to have, and sometimes it can be misdirected and misplaced on Valentine's Day. Loving yourself is the key to loving others successfully. Self-love involves making sure you are happy, and often times this holiday can blind you from the true task at hand. Love yourself (As Justin Bieber always says). This Valentine's Day, if you are dating someone, you should involve both of you love the deepest part of yourselves. It is a celebration of self-love because without self-love the relationship would not be as successful as it is. Without self-love, you would not be the person you are with that special person.

Also if you are single, think about this:

A lot of breakups occur on Valentine's Day, and like most people, what do we do when we are broken up with? We blame ourselves. It veers us in the direction of self-hate rather than self-love. We look at all the negative sides of ourselves just because that singular person didn't like it. That person's opinion made you believe that. That is allowing a person to control how you view yourself, and you cannot allow that to happen. Valentine's Day is all about self-love, and more importantly, about you.

Because you are single, you need to look at the You that you are proud of. Think about what people are missing, the good and the bad, and flaunt them. Valentine's Day is about love, but not the kind of love just between two people. It's the love between everyone and themselves. Being able to love others, and see them for everything they are is what truly matters. Having a person look at themselves in the mirror and scream "I love Me!" is what is better than a simple bouquet of roses with an "I love you" card attached to it.

Let this holiday remind you of the true meaning of love with not just you or your partner, let it be about everyone and everything that makes you, you. Let it be a "Thank you, Mom, for making me love this part of me," and also a "Thank you, Dad, for making me who I am today." Love the people around you, and you will love yourself.

There is nothing more powerful than self-love.